Where do folks get wide hardwood molding
So, I don't use much HW molding but I have bought about 50ft of base and 100ft of casing from a major west coast manufacturer (through a dist), all maple. They usually have stock and thus don't charge a knife setup fee. The base and casing were good quality, just a few mineral streaks. 

I decided to add a 5&1/2" crown molding and after unpacking I could not believe that they shipped this with a straight face - several 1" knot holes and nowhere near the ends. Bought 4 14' pieces at $10/ft. The crown costs twice that of base and casing probably because they have to start with thicker stock. 

When I started this project, I looked into getting a molding machine and doing it myself but hard to justify for the amount I needed. However I saw that many pros finally get a molding machine and they reap big cost savings. In my area I get maple for about $6 a bd-ft and depending on size of molding you could get 2 or 3' thus a molding cost of $2-3 per foot. Probably not as simple as just pressing a button though.

I checked my area (very large metro) and not much besides this manufacturer unless you want to pay a knife setup fee. Upside is quality will be guaranteed because you see it before accepting delivery.  

Picture is the face of 5&1/2" maple crown, all 4 pieces have major defects! I'll will contact manufacturer but will probably have to cut out defects and splice.

Attached Files Image(s)

Is it marked "Paint grade"?  Might explain a lot.

Good luck!
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I'm thinking that molding is for knotty paneling and purposely manufactured that way. Maybe shipped the wrong thing? Or ordered the wrong thing? That isn't paint-grade.

There are 2 millwork shops near here who make custom molding. There were quite a few more in the not to distant past. Set up charges are expected. Not sure anybody stocks this stuff anymore.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

At first I thought it had to be an ordering or shipping error. But the OP says it is maple? 

Don't think I've ever seen knotty maple crown unless it was a custom order.
Yeah this is stain grade maple. Cost me $10 per foot. I have bought about 200' of maple and base and casing from this company (via a dist which serves pros almost exclusively)  and there were no defects other than a few mineral streaks. I think they are just trying to increase profits by using low grade stock. I will cut out and splice, since its same board it will not be noticeable as I have done this before to stretch the maple casing.

And now I know that their competence is questionable. Look at picture below and tell me whats wrong, unbelievable.

I have thought about this and I think if doing stain grade best to control yourself as much as possible or get some guarantee on quality. Buying site unseen is risky. 
I redid my stairs in Brazilian Cherry treads and railing. I had to order ~15 treads and railing online because most stair part dists wont sell to the public. It worked out well but I realize I got lucky on that one.

Attached Files Image(s)

Yes, angle is way off. Though it will still fit to the wall.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-13-2024, 06:36 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Yes, angle is way off. Though it will still fit to the wall.

Can't tell from picture but normal angles are 52 and 38 degrees, not 45's.   Roly
Bug 
(01-14-2024, 09:20 AM)Roly Wrote: Can't tell from picture but normal angles are 52 and 38 degrees, not 45's.   Roly

Yes. With correct angles, it should still lay in that square.

52-7=45
38+7=45
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I've never seen a 90 degree wall, especially at an inside corner. I think it's cut right. Base shoe and 1/4 round is 90 degrees.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(01-14-2024, 02:41 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I've never seen a 90 degree wall, especially at an inside corner. I think it's cut right. Base shoe and 1/4 round is 90 degrees.
 It sure looks like crown molding he ordered also and not base in the picture.  Roly