oil or grease for old stationary tools
I recently got my antique camel back drill press back to working condition after it stripped some gears two years ago. As it was being reassembled I thought about perhaps tapping the oil holes in the frame so as to be able to install zerk fittings to enable applying grease rather than "just" oil. The oil I've been using is summer grade chain saw bar oil because it supposedly clings better. My thoughts were that lithium grease might provide better long-lasting lubrication. The oil holes are primarily on the step pully drive shaft which operates at about 150 rpm.
My suspicion is that you should stick to oil. I am no metallurgist, nor an engineer, but from a practical
standpoint if oil works why change? Also, it seems that grease might retain/attract dirt etc while oil
would 'weep' away and be replenished over time thus 'cleaning' the surfaces.

Not a very scientific answer... but for the low speeds involved, a nice oiling every now and then oughta
do it.

I admire those old camelbacks. Doubt I will ever own or use one, but the cool factor is off the charts.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
I use some of Lucas Oil's products.
They make an oil additive that I used as a lube on the 3-ph Hempel auto copy lathe I had.
It clings well and a quart would last a lifetime. I use it once in a while in the car and truck.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AR...UTF8&psc=1

They have a non synthetic also.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020