Whole house generator follow-up (fuel use)
Not if they do the proper install and strap it down to concrete footings.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-19-2024, 11:24 AM)BrentDH Wrote: I am surprised no one here has mentioned burying the propane tank.  We have a buried 500 gallon tank and I would not have it any other way.  Those big tanks are a bit of an eyesore and it would be nice to avoid having to look at it if you can.

(01-19-2024, 03:13 PM)EightFingers Wrote: Not always advisable. Ground water pressure can push the tank to the surface.

Here, the connections to the tank, running the pipe and the connections need to be done by a master gas fitter and permitted. Setting an above ground tank doesn't need a permit as long as the location meets code. Burying the tank needs a permit and will require sacrificial anodes. The ones I've seen are a big block of zinc bonded to the tank sitting on undisturbed soil at the bottom of the hole. They may require a concrete base buried with it so it doesn't pop out of the ground like a bobber.

They dig the hole, set the tank, back fill with sand to 6" above the top of the tank and then cover the remainder with impermeable (clay).

If I were doing a big tank, I'd probably bury it too just so i wouldn't have to walk around it the rest of my live.

Check for snakes when you open the lid.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(01-11-2024, 04:49 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: ........ I anticipate turning off water heater until needed, then turning off heat pump until we're clean and starting heat pump back up......

No need for that unless you want to.  We have a 25kw on an all electric residential care home.  When they installed it we put load sensors on the heat pump furnace and hot water.  These read load on generator and only run when power is available.  If the furnace is running in emergency mode, no heat pump because it's too cold, just heat strips, the hot water elements will not kick in until the furnace drops offline. Talk to your installer, I don't think it added much.  Easier to keep a hot tank warm than warm one that is cold.
Burying your tank is a great idea. It offers a few benefits. Visual (not looking at ugly tank), fire danger is reduced. Bouyancy of the tank is offset by the installation of concrete foundations in the bottom of  excavation. Size of foundation is calculated based on teh tank empty volume.the tank is strapped to the foundation using stainless steel straps and hardware. Buried tanks are usually coated with the same epoxy coating that is used on cross country pipelines. Most LPG suppliers should have a pre-engineered  solution on file.

Hope this helps
My neighbor told me he has $8000 invested in the generator and electric work plus another $2000+ in propane sitting in a tank. (Propane here is $4+/gallon) He had it installed 10 years ago after we lost power for 48 hours post hurricane. If you were burning 3 gallons per hour that's a lot of money.

This is in Florida. If I lived up north and power went out due to ice storms, that might be different.

After reading Fred's post my input is basically review why you need one. We haven't had an extended power outage 2 or 3 times in 30 years, and they were never more than 3 or 4 days. Most homes can be kept up and running with a small generator. A camp stove for cooking if you don't have gas.

I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but around here, it's mainly to run the AC.
(01-22-2024, 10:44 AM)rwe2156 Wrote: My neighbor told me he has $8000 invested in the generator and electric work plus another $2000+ in propane sitting in a tank. (Propane here is $4+/gallon)  He had it installed 10 years ago after we lost power for 48 hours post hurricane. If you were burning 3 gallons per hour that's a lot of money.

This is in Florida.  If I lived up north and power went out due to ice storms, that might be different.

After reading Fred's post my input is basically review why you need one. We haven't had an extended power outage 2 or 3 times in 30 years, and they were never more than 3 or 4 days.  Most homes can be kept up and running with a small generator.  A camp stove for cooking if you don't have gas. 

I know this doesn't apply to everyone, but around here, it's mainly to run the AC.

For $10000, I would drain the plumbing, get a hotel somewhere, buy all new food. Seems like you could repeat that quite a few times.
VH07V  
(01-22-2024, 11:40 AM)EightFingers Wrote: For $10000, I would drain the plumbing, get a hotel somewhere, buy all new food. Seems like you could repeat that quite a few times.

The first time we had an extended outage at the old place, there were 4 things that were completely unavailable in the area. 

1. Bottled water
2. Gas cans
3. Generators
4. Hotel Rooms

I drove to Newport News to buy the generator. 3-1/2 hours each way. I paid over the phone with a credit card and they said they'd hold it till close of business. I got there right before they closed. 5500kw. I bought water and gas cans near Richmond on the way down. Big enough to run the water heater, wood stove fan, well pump and some lights. I had people offering me 3 times what I paid at stop lights

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(01-22-2024, 09:37 PM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: The first time we had an extended outage at the old place, there were 4 things that were completely unavailable in the area. 

1. Bottled water
2. Gas cans
3. Generators
4. Hotel Rooms

Precisely. And because I have a well, water was a real issue; think flushing toilets! Given how much we pay for used cars nowadays as an example, not having $10k is not going to change my life.  Glad I did it and would do it again; indeed, if I eventually move and the new house does not have one, I am doing it again!
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
We're out in the country and also on a well. But beyond that my wife is handicapped and uses medical equipment. It would be fairly tough (if not impossible) for us to get everything she needs into a hotel so i consider the generator a good investment. All that plus thae fact that when we first moved into this house it was almost monthly we would have a 2-3 hour interruption....after I put the genny in that improved significantly. My neighborhood should thank me.
Laugh
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-24-2024, 08:27 AM)fredhargis Wrote: We're out in the country and also on a well. But beyond that my wife is handicapped and uses medical equipment. It would be fairly tough (if not impossible) for us to get everything she needs into a hotel so i consider the generator a good investment. All that plus thae fact that when we first moved into this house it was almost monthly we would have a 2-3 hour interruption....after I put the genny in that improved significantly. My neighborhood should thank me.
Laugh

It was always fascinating going outside when the power went out and listening to the standby gens starting up in the hills around me. I had do drag mine out of the garage, push it up the driveway, plug it into the house and hope the trickle charger kept the batter strong enough to crank it up.

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS