Cabinet Design Help . . .
I'm trying to design a modification of Bourbon Moth's giant cabinets.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX6FBYHyLrw

He's got four carcasses, each with one drawer on the bottom and doors at the top, with a quarter inch ply back behind the doors.  For the drawer, he put a 3/4 panel at the back, to which he attached blum undermount slides.

I want mine to look pretty much the same, except a total of 74" tall, and I want two drawers at the bottom.  My thought is to make each of the four sections in two pieces: a lower piece, 30" high with two drawers, and then an upper piece sitting on top with the doors and shelves behind it.  face frame.  But I'm not sure how to mount the undermount slides for the upper drawer.  I know I can use side mount Accurides by adding a filler to accomodate for the face frame, but I'd like to stick with blum undermount.

Is the easy answer to just use a 3/4 ply panel for the back and affix the slide for the top drawer the same way I do for the bottom?  Am I missing something better that would not use up so much 3/4 ply?

Thanks in advance.  sorry, my sketchup skills aren't good enough yet to post a picture of what I'm talking about, but I think it's pretty straightforward.

(01-20-2024, 11:05 AM)David Stone Wrote: I'm trying to design a modification of Bourbon Moth's giant cabinets.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NX6FBYHyLrw

He's got four carcasses, each with one drawer on the bottom and doors at the top, with a quarter inch ply back behind the doors.  For the drawer, he put a 3/4 panel at the back, to which he attached blum undermount slides.

I want mine to look pretty much the same, except a total of 74" tall, and I want two drawers at the bottom.  My thought is to make each of the four sections in two pieces: a lower piece, 30" high with two drawers, and then an upper piece sitting on top with the doors and shelves behind it.  face frame.  But I'm not sure how to mount the undermount slides for the upper drawer.  I know I can use side mount Accurides by adding a filler to accomodate for the face frame, but I'd like to stick with blum undermount.

Is the easy answer to just use a 3/4 ply panel for the back and affix the slide for the top drawer the same way I do for the bottom?  Am I missing something better that would not use up so much 3/4 ply?

Thanks in advance.  sorry, my sketchup skills aren't good enough yet to post a picture of what I'm talking about, but I think it's pretty straightforward.

Just as he mounted the front of the undermounts to the face frame put in a filler strip on the sides and screw to them, you dont need rear brackets if they are attached to the sides only if they span from the face frame to the back.      If you have never used the undermounts the drawer width and side thickness is critical,  Suggest make a mock up drawer as a test .    You will not need the jigs for predrilling unless you are doing production work.   To locate where the hole is drilled in the back of the drawer just push the drawer in and the pin will locate it.  For the locks in front ,place in corner and mark.    Remember the mounting width fits to the inside of the drawer sides and that is most important so mount the slides and figure the drawer width from there.  Roly Also recommend real Blum and not a cheaper look alike as they did not last long for high usage
What Roly said, filler strips on the side.  Shim them, if necessary, so they are square to the face frame and equidistance side to side.  

John
Interesting video, and pretty much how most of us probably do it.  IMO, the pocket screw step on the 'brace' pieces is overkill.  Once that box is put together, glue is plenty to hold them in place.  And if you feel like they really need a screw, one from the outside (like with the shelf) is easier for to me.
Thanks everyone. I had a feeling it was straightforward.