Go Board
Anyone with experience using Go Board as waterproof backer for ceramic tile in a shower?
" That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,"

"the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Looks like a different color Ditra by Schluter. I've used that system on a walk-in shower along with the pitched floor and curb. (the floor was longer than 5', so a foot more was filled with dry pack mortar covered with Kirdi.) I capped the drain outlet and flood tested over the weekend to about 1/4" below top of curb. No leaks, no problems for about six years now.

I haven't heard of "go Board" but there are a few systems out there. Google John Bridge tile to get more specific info on the systems.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(01-20-2024, 11:51 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Looks like a different color Ditra by Schluter. I've used that system on a walk-in shower along with the pitched floor and curb. (the floor was longer than 5', so a foot more was filled with dry pack mortar covered with Kirdi.) I capped the drain outlet and flood tested over the weekend to about 1/4" below top of curb. No leaks, no problems for about six years now.

I haven't heard of "go Board" but there are a few systems out there. Google John Bridge tile to get more specific info on the systems.

Doesn't look anything like Ditra on the Lowe's site. 

At $10 more per sheet than DUROCK (and HardiBacker priced in between), I don't see any benefit other than it being lightweight and easier to cut.  If you still need to seal the hole and joints and are buying RedGard (or whatever) anyway, I'd stay with DUROCK.
(01-21-2024, 07:35 AM)KC Wrote: Doesn't look anything like Ditra on the Lowe's site. 

At $10 more per sheet than DUROCK (and HardiBacker priced in between), I don't see any benefit other than it being lightweight and easier to cut.  If you still need to seal the hole and joints and are buying RedGard (or whatever) anyway, I'd stay with DUROCK.

It's waterproof without having to use RedGard. Just need to use manufactures joint and screw sealing caulk.
" That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,"

"the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Sorry, Ditra is the uncoupling membrane; I use that too. Kerdi Board is the product I used on the walk-in shower walls and niche. It's 1/2" polystyrene with Kerdi membrane attached. Kerdi strips and corners embedded in thinset seal the seams. Screw heads are sealed with a caulk. I've found it better to use a drywall gun to run the screws in because it leaves a larger diameter dimple to fill and is less prone to tearing the membrane. 

Regardless of which system you choose, I can say that it has always been worth my time to get the framing perfect before hanging board for tile. That not only means plumb, but all the studs planed straight or shimmed with drywall shims and all on the same plane.
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
(01-21-2024, 10:43 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: Regardless of which system you choose, I can say that it has always been worth my time to get the framing perfect before hanging board for tile. That not only means plumb, but all the studs planed straight or shimmed with drywall shims and all on the same plane.

Truth. Especially if you are using some of the larger format tiles.