Stanley #1
I recently acquired a Stanley #1. I bought it at auction, on-line. I knew it was in the lot of 7 planes because I went to the inspection but the auction house had no clue or any of the bidders either based on the price I paid. I have no intention of keeping it but am wondering if a should do a full tune up, light cleaning, or leave it as/is for the buyer. Any advise would be appreciated.
Leave it alone. Don't even think about cleaning it unless you intend to keep it forever.
(01-29-2024, 07:05 PM)Maple Leaf Wrote: Leave it alone. Don't even think about cleaning it unless you intend to keep it forever.
Agree.....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Leave it be. A pic for us to drool on would be nice. Wink wink.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-29-2024, 09:53 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Leave it be. A pic for us to drool on would be nice. Wink wink.

+1...There's no tool like an old tool...
Winkgrin

Get off my lawn !
Upset

(01-30-2024, 08:30 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ................
+1...There's no tool like an old tool...
Winkgrin

I'll post some pics in a few days. Away from the shop right now. Haven't been on the site much for years, do you still need a 3rd party hosting site to post pics?
You can post pics here now, but with the crap software here it's a pain in the jabba jabba.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(01-31-2024, 02:06 PM)pinky Wrote: I'll post some pics in a few days. Away from the shop right now. Haven't been on the site much for years, do you still need a 3rd party hosting site to post pics?
I use Postimage...very easy....

Get off my lawn !
Upset

Pinky, I've bought and sold a lot of tools and quite a few planes. I'd rather find one that hasn't been touched (barn find condition). And I'd rather sell them untouched. It doesn't enhance the value at all. Seems like the more they are touched, the more I scrutinized them and sometimes I just pass and let someone else deal with it. The more valuable or the more rare the tool, the more important it is to be left alone if you intend to resell it. I learned this the hard way. Set it in the humid basement, get a nice layer of surface rust in it and it sells right away.

There's an antique store I frequent about 50 miles from here and a guy there has a booth with all his good stuff behind glass and at fair prices. He's had planes I'd like to own for myself but I've never bought one from him because I don't like the way he cleans them up. I did buy a nice Sergent VBM from him but it wasn't behind glass or cleaned up.

It would be hard for me to part with a #1. I don't think I could do it.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

For scale, here's a number one beside a portable belt sander.