Short in electric cooktop
Ends well tho.

SWMBO was cleaning the electric cooktop and I guess she got a little too liberal with the cleaner: buzz..POP. Breaker tripped.

Flipped the breaker and it tripped immediately.

I took the whole cooktop apart looking for scorched/fused/melted bits..and couldn't find any. Put a multimeter on all the simmerstats and the fan switch..they all tested good as did the elements.

After letting the cooktop sit apart for several days to 'dry out', reassembled it and it's all working as expected. That's a first for me: I figured shorting 15A @ 240V would damage something for sure (I'm sure it arced internal contacts; I just can't identify the affected switch by sight, smell or multimeter).

Luckily it's a relatively primitive affair: no integrated circuits, just four simmerstats, a fan switch and an indicator light. If it had ICs, I bet it'd be toast..and nobody is going to fix a control board from 1998.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.