Squeaky Leeson Motor
This is a 5hp Leeson motor that is used to turn the 14” material movement impeller on my cyclone dust collector.
It made this squeaking noise for years prior to being put in storage for three years. I never heard the squeak when starting up or running, but did while it slowed down after being turned off. It seemed to run just fine otherwise.
I’m finally back into a workshop again after three years and now getting this cyclone setup, but I want to (finally) address the cause of this squeak before hoisting this thing on top of the cyclone.
Looking for ideas on potential causes and fixes before I start taking it apart.
Link to video of squeaking motor below.
Thanks

http://youtu.be/9JA8QxQ3V7c?si=EIhlXoyqbq72Tj8N
Ray
(02-07-2024, 09:03 PM)DogwoodTales Wrote: This is a 5hp Leeson motor that is used to turn the 14” material movement impeller on my cyclone dust collector.
It made this squeaking noise for years prior to being put in storage for three years. I never heard the squeak when starting up or running, but did while it slowed down after being turned off. It seemed to run just fine otherwise.
I’m finally back into a workshop again after three years and now getting this cyclone setup, but I want to (finally) address the cause of this squeak before hoisting this thing on top of the cyclone.
Looking for ideas on potential causes and fixes before I start taking it apart.
Link to video of squeaking motor below.
Thanks

http://youtu.be/9JA8QxQ3V7c?si=EIhlXoyqbq72Tj8N

Taking a guess from the sound it is probably something to do with the centrifugal switch.   Roly
(02-07-2024, 09:26 PM)Roly Wrote: Taking a guess from the sound it is probably something to do with the centrifugal switch.   Roly

Another possibility is that the fan is slightly rubbing on the fan cover.
See if you can put a piece of steel rod against the cover as the motor slows.  You should be able to feel the rubbing.