refinishing water rings on nightstand Pix added !!
Finally got the image to link  A friend has asked for advice about restoring nightstand top.  Said it was Cherry and I suggested Formby's from what she said but picture shows serious water rings and it looks more like walnut.

She has considered sanding and refinishing top but I'm wondering how hard it will be to remove the water rings. Are they part of the finish, or are they stained into the wood?

Any help will be appreciated by us both.

https://imgur.com/14zp5BB
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(02-12-2024, 12:43 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Can't get the image to link (Is this a WN problem? ) but friend has asked for advice about restoring nightstand top.  Said it was Cherry and I suggested Formby's from what she said but picture shows serious water rings and it looks more like walnut.

She has considered sanding and refinishing top but I'm wondering how hard it will be to remove the water rings. Are they part of the finish, or are they stained into the wood?

Any help will be appreciated by us both.

If the rings are white then it's most likely finish damage, which may be repairable.  If it's black rings, then the water got to the wood and the options to fix it get more severe.  

White rings are caused by water that gets trapped in the finish.  Sometimes they go away on their own over time.  If not, you can try gentle heat, like an iron set on low with a cotton dish towel over the ring.  Check often as you don't want to melt the finish, just keep it warm.  Liberon, Homax, and others make a cloth impregnated with something that they claim will remove white rings on most finishes.  Worth a shot. If the finish is lacquer you can spray lacquer thinner with retarder in it on the ring.  Just let it sit there.  When it evaporates the ring often will go with it.  Mohawk's Blush Retarder is an aerosol that might work as well.  I would not try the last two options unless the first ones fail.  

Black rings can sometimes be removed by treatment with oxalic acid, as in Barkeepers Friend, after carefully sanding away the finish in that area.  The problem is oxalic acid may change the base color of the wood, and then you have a color matching challenge to get it all looking the same again.  Stripping and/or sanding will work if the ring isn't too deep and the top isn't made from veneer.  If it is veneer, then it's either the oxalic acid approach or coloring over the stain with pigment stain, and then feathering in new finish coats.  

John
[Image: GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATNiZm...ation=true]

here's the image -- white rings are only start of problem, entire top is covered with marks and white areas.  Is it Cherry or Walnut? She was told cherry but we're both doubtful. (I've only seen the pix)

I suggested Formby's refinisher -- anybody used it?  Piece is OLD and refinishing the whole top it a last resort. 

I'll pass on the iron suggestion -- may be worth a try.  Thanks

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
I have used the iron and cotton cloth method several times with great success.
It can be a long boring process, depending on the severity, and it might take a
couple sessions, but it seems to work for me.

On white rings.

As previously stated above, black ones are another matter.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(02-12-2024, 02:41 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: [Image: GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATNiZm...ation=true]

here's the image -- white rings are only start of problem, entire top is covered with marks and white areas.  Is it Cherry or Walnut? She was told cherry but we're both doubtful. (I've only seen the pix)

I suggested Formby's refinisher -- anybody used it?  Piece is OLD and refinishing the whole top it a last resort. 

I'll pass on the iron suggestion -- may be worth a try.  Thanks

The image is not visible to me.  

John
third try's a charm
Rolleyes

Link in OP works for me and should work for you. Here's hoping!
Winkgrin

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
(02-13-2024, 11:42 AM)Wild Turkey Wrote: third try's a charm
Rolleyes

Link in OP works for me and should work for you. Here's hoping!
Winkgrin

It is working !      Roly
OK, I can see it now.  That looks like it was rode hard and literally put away wet.  Wow.  There doesn't look like there's much finish even left on it.  The good news is it looks like it's solid wood.  I'd sand it down, or use a scraper, and apply a new finish rather than diddle around to try repair/save what's there.  

John
(02-13-2024, 04:07 PM)jteneyck Wrote: OK, I can see it now.  That looks like it was rode hard and literally put away wet.  Wow.  There doesn't look like there's much finish even left on it.  The good news is it looks like it's solid wood.  I'd sand it down, or use a scraper, and apply a new finish rather than diddle around to try repair/save what's there.  

John

That's my reaction after seeing the pix.

Do we agree it looks like walnut?
Confused

Wild Turkey
(joined 10/1999)
(02-14-2024, 07:18 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: That's my reaction after seeing the pix.

Do we agree it looks like walnut?:

It sort of looks like walnut.  Not sure.  Does it matter?

John