Interior vs exterior tile
Is there any real difference between interior and exterior tile? We’re looking at redoing the exterior entryway to the house. The wife likes some interior tile. Will it last? It’s in a spot that is shielded from direct sun/weather.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

(02-22-2024, 09:14 PM)EatenByLimestone Wrote: Is there any real difference between interior and exterior tile? We’re looking at redoing the exterior entryway to the house. The wife likes some interior tile. Will it last? It’s in a spot that is shielded from direct sun/weather.

Normally exterior tile has more texture for slip resistance.    Roly
Try looking for either stone tile or outdoor rated porcelain tiles. I would really urge the use of the stone tiles. Menards carries a few.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
Typically exterior tile has more traction and may be thicker. I like porcelain. Brittle on the edges but much stronger than ceramic. Real stone is less brittle and doesn't really need an edging to protect the edges. 

I found a 3/4" thick porcelain outdoor tile at Lowes and did my front porch with them. They were being sold in the garden department by the pavers. Cheaper than other thick porcelain I found and they look nice. 24x24 Porcelain. You'll need an industrial 24" tile cutter. No scribe and snap with these. I set all the interior tiles first. Then rented a saw and cut all the border tiles in 1 day. Cleaned and dried them and set them the next day. Used a poly modified thinset and an additive to the grout to help prevent water/ice damage. Ideally, you'd want an epoxy grout outdoors. I just don't like working with it, it sets pretty fast.

They're dirty but...

[Image: yKWwoNF.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

The wife found a porcelain tile she likes. I broke out the old stone and painted concrete below it. I did not expect it to be bedded into 3” of concrete. I had to upgrade hammers a few times. I ended up with a 5lb hand sledge. My forearm was sore that night. Lol.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy