'Garden' chairs
Woodsmith #45 (June '86) had a garden bench project that caused me to keep it for all these years.  Don't need a bench, but I figured we could use a couple more chairs for the deck.  I kinda thought the back should have had some curveage, and maybe a bit more angle... but I also figured the original designer had decided 'straight' was good enough.  So I did it his way.  Shouldn't have.   Scaled down the legs from 2-1/2 " material to 1-7/8".  Poplar, to be painted.  Cute enough, I suppose, and LOML thinks they're fine.  I'll sit in the Adirondack.  
Winkgrin

They look good. From a relaxation standpoint, I'm with you on needing some recline.
(02-27-2024, 07:13 PM)stav Wrote: They look good. From a relaxation standpoint, I'm with you on needing some recline.

The plan layout is 12 degree tilt to the back.  I ended up with 13 degrees, and IMO, it probably ought to be at least 15.  Or some 'recline' or the seat also (think Adirondack).  I also thought the overall look was a bit 'squat', but it's grown on me.
Chairs look good, KC.  

As far as amount of recline, it's highly individually-dependent.  For me, I like some recline, but if it's too much, I feel like I'm sliding out of the chair.  I think the plan layout of 12 degrees would have been sufficient for me.
Ray
(formerly "WxMan")
Without sitting in them it's hard to comment on the recline but they sure do look good.
Frank
Well done.  I like how you adjusted the cross section of the components to fit the overall size of the chairs.  I remember those plans in FWW.  I've built three benches using those plans but made them wider and changed the top of the back rest to several curve shapes.  I've never sat in them long enough to find the back rake uncomfortable.  If I were to build one specifically for comfort I would change not only the back rest, but also the shape of the seat.  

Poplar was a bold choice if they are going to sit out in the weather, even painted.  I would be sure to seal the bottom of the legs with epoxy first.  In fact, an epoxy sealer for all of it would be good.  I would add some sort of plastic, etc standoff on the bottom of the legs, too, to keep them out of the water.  

John
(02-28-2024, 10:34 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Well done.  I like how you adjusted the cross section of the components to fit the overall size of the chairs.  I remember those plans in FWW.  I've built three benches using those plans but made them wider and changed the top of the back rest to several curve shapes.  I've never sat in them long enough to find the back rake uncomfortable.  If I were to build one specifically for comfort I would change not only the back rest, but also the shape of the seat.  

Poplar was a bold choice if they are going to sit out in the weather, even painted.  I would be sure to seal the bottom of the legs with epoxy first.  In fact, an epoxy sealer for all of it would be good.  I would add some sort of plastic, etc standoff on the bottom of the legs, too, to keep them out of the water.  

John

I suspect the FWW and Woodsmith plans were similar (if not the same).   These will be on covered deck that only gets wet if it rains/snows and the wind blows crazy at the same time.  Poplar was the 'cheap' choice.  
Laugh
I'm thinking I might use a deck stain on them instead of paint.  Painting the Adirondack chair was a PITA.