All you might want to know about sole "flatness"
As Bandit stated the planes of yesterday were never designed to be used on a shooting board. But the blade should be able to make a square cut using the lateral adjusting knob. and angling the blade. As far as the  snide remark I have never had the need to plane teak, nor do I ever intend to ever cut teak. I have come to expect it from him.

People have been using wooden planes for centuries and I am sure none of them were flat. As I have said in the past, the ability of a plane to cut is directly proportional to the sharpness of the plane blade. Bandit has proven several time that he can sharpen a plane blade, and good for him. Although there is skill in using a plane, the real skill is in the sharpening. I do wax my planes with Tool Wax from Veritas

Take two sanding blocks, put 100 grid sand paper on one and 320 grit on the other and then tell me which one has the least resistance. I spent just under 4 hours grinding this plane. I also had about 40 minutes travel tine and I wouldn't have spent the time to use a machine that is designed to do one thing which is to remove metal if I thought I could use sandpaper and a piece of glass to flatten it. I know every body thinks they can flatten a plane but iron doesn't sand like wood.

If I were to buy a lie Nielsen #8 plane for $550 I would read that it is a great plane and that I am going to enjoy using it. I read all the time about how people love there Lie Nielsen planes, which are surface ground buy the way, along with Veritas planes. But if I regrind a Bedrock 608 , which Lie Nielsen copied, I get snide remarks. You will know them by there works.

I grind my planes because I CAN.  I grind my planes because I like nice looking planes. Tools that look nice are also tools that are more than likely to produce good work. 

On a different note, I have 6 people wanting me to grind planes for them and I am flattered. I still work as a Tool and Die Maker three days a week, 7 to noon.  I can use the shops machinery for my own personal use, but I can't make it a habit of using his machines to do outside work. I can sell the 608 but I can't make a habit out of grinding and selling. I wish I could grind them but I can't.

Tom
[quote pid="8178250" dateline="1711142638"]

People have been using wooden planes for centuries and I am sure none of them were flat. As I have said in the past, the ability of a plane to cut is directly proportional to the sharpness of the plane blade. Bandit has proven several time that he can sharpen a plane blade, and good for him. Although there is skill in using a plane, the real skill is in the sharpening. I do wax my planes with Tool Wax from Veritas

Tom
[/quote]

For people who know how to use a plane, flattening a wooden plane is trivial. We don't use sandpaper.

You talk like someone who doesn't have experience using planes.
The other day I saw a really beautiful rifle that shoots 1” groups at 1000 yards. Where I shoot, the farthest target is 200 yards. The rifle I own shoots 1” groups at 200 yards. Do I need a new rifle?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(03-20-2024, 04:36 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ............
I remember how our castings were just stored outside in the dirt exposed to mother nature
Big Grin

Makes sense since you'd want the castings to age prior to machining.  I guess even if they were under cover they'd rust due to humidity.  As long as there's no significant pitting deep enough to affect the machined dimensions, storing outside with subsequent rusting may not be that big of a deal.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(03-23-2024, 07:56 AM)blackhat Wrote: The other day I saw a really beautiful rifle that shoots 1” groups at 1000 yards. Where I shoot, the farthest target is 200 yards. The rifle I own shoots 1” groups at 200 yards. Do I need a new rifle?

You need a new range; then, you’ll need a new rifle.

Laugh
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I’ve got near a hundred instantaneous or near instantaneous one shot kills on deer. Will the new rifle kill them deader?
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(03-23-2024, 06:43 PM)blackhat Wrote: I’ve got near a hundred instantaneous or near instantaneous one shot kills on deer. Will the new rifle kill them deader?

Looks like we have the beginnings of a "Flatness war".....
Rolleyes
Crazy
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plane.
(03-24-2024, 08:31 AM)Timberwolf Wrote: ................
Looks like we have the beginnings of a "Flatness war".....
Rolleyes
Crazy

Well, it's about time we had a new one --

Those "sharpening method", "saw nib", and "pins/tails first" wars aren't what they used to be.
Cast iron planes vary a great deal in flatness: a given.  In the old days, fresh cast iron castings reportedly were stored for a period of time outdoors at the Stanley Toolworks so that the castings could undergo stress relief.  These castings were later ground, or sanded, during final manufacturing.  Many of them warped further with age; and now we have some planes that are no longer flat.  I know nothing of the re-grinding process that is offered here, other than the plane I inspected after flattening was absent almost all of the corrugations that were present before the re-grinding was done.  That means that that plane's sole (and sides walls) were significantly reduced in thickness by the grinding.  That seems counter-productive to me.