Slab flattening router bit?
I have a few ash slabs I want to flatten. I will be making a jig and use my Porter Cable router. What bit should I be looking at?
These slabs are 4 or 5 feet long, 16 inches wide. I have four to do. I am not looking to mortgage my house for a bit, and will not be doing production volume.

What size (H.P.) P-C router? Bigger router will spin a bigger bit.
I use a mortising bit for door hinges, its about 1 1/4 dia, and made to take shallow cuts so its short.

Ed
(03-12-2024, 12:15 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: What size (H.P.) P-C router? Bigger router will spin a bigger bit.

Model 6902 looks like 1 3/4 hp

(03-12-2024, 02:25 PM)goaliedad Wrote: Model 6902  looks like 1 3/4 hp

If that's a fixed speed router, I wouldn't use anything large than about 3/4".  If it's variable speed, I'd use a 1" spoilboard bit, like this one or similar:

Link

Cheap and will last plenty long enough to do the job.  If you used a 2-1/4 HP router, I'd go up to a 2" bit.  In any case, you need to take light passes, like no more than 1/16".  If that sounds painfully slow, then start out with a 1/2" bit and a deeper cut first to get it pretty flat and then switch to the larger bit.  

John
(03-12-2024, 02:25 PM)goaliedad Wrote: Model 6902  looks like 1 3/4 hp

Since you have a lower HP I would select this

https://www.hvalleytools.com/product/vp1...outer-bits   3/4" wide bit
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Lots of things go into selecting the bit. I do have several full sized routers as well as several what they call palm routers. My disclaimer is lots of woodworkers have several routers.

I personally would prefer a full sized router for the job and one that will except a 1/2 inch shanked router bit. This is one of the times that a plunge router would be a better option  Again I would select a router that has variable speed control. Today. If the router will take a 1/2 shank and has variable speed it usually has enough HP to use any sized Spoil board cutter.  Depth of cut can also make up for lack of HP.

White Side router bits are considered as some of the best in the country. I would take a look at their catalog and see what the diameter of their spoil board cutters are and use that for a reference. It would be a good size to start with, for either a 1/4 and 1/2 size. Then any manufacturer or priced router bit is for you to decide.

If your router doesn't meet some of the requirements I think would be nice for the job, then perhaps it is time that  a new router could come into consideration.

This is just what I personally prefer a [font="Amazon Ember", Arial, sans-serif]BOSCH 1617EVSPK  [/font]  It is a fixed base and plunge base router which is more than big enough to handle most jobs.  

Quality is long remembered after a cheap price is forgotten.

Tom