Laying tile
The only thing waterproof in a shower is the Red Guard (or whatever you use) over the backer. Most tile isn't 100% waterproof. Neither is the grout in most cases. Some, if not all Epoxy Grouts are. Hardi Plank siding is only as water proof as the paint and the flashing.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(posting pictures as a helping hand)

Thank you!

Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Hmm..that's an interesting design (is that a cold-room/root cellar below that space?)

I'm just a DIY'er but I'd be inclined to treat it like a deck on a flat roof: pitch the floor (roof) away from the house, cover the whole floor and up the sidewalls a ways with waterproof membrane like EPDM, then install a floating walking surface over that.

The floating deck is so you don't compromise the waterproof membrane. One could do "tile" by using floating pavers.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
It is a basement. It stays about 55 degrees. I doubt the tile would.
Matt

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.
-Jack Handy

Wow... that is odd. Can you take out the higher area on the left? Wonder if there's a way to pour concrete in there and tile over the concrete. Is it possible to do add some structural support under it?
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS