Kitchen Wall Cabinet Over Tile?
I want to add two wall cabinets to a section of wall that is tiled. Can I put the cabinets over the tile? Or do I need to remove the tile first? If I go over the tile, what’s the best way to drill the holes so the tiles don’t shatter?

I'd try to do it over the tiles. You want your cabinets fastened to the studs so you'll have to find them. Maybe open an outled and slide something through the wall to locate a stud and measure 10" OC from there. Or.. can you access the base of the wall? Maybe pull some baseboard and find the studs. I've never used a stud finder over tile but I'd start there.

You can drill holes in the tile with a diamond drill.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

If aesthetics aren’t a concern, you could put the cabinets right over the tile.

I’d try to use a French clear type system to simplify hitting the studs.

A diamond drill bit and a helper with a squeeze bottle of water are your friends here for drilling the tile and keeping the dust down.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(03-20-2024, 10:15 AM)MKepke Wrote: If aesthetics aren’t a concern, you could put the cabinets right over the tile.

I’d try to use a French clear type system to simplify hitting the studs.

A diamond drill bit and a helper with a squeeze bottle of water are your friends here for drilling the tile and keeping the dust down.

-Mark

If you are attaching to other cabinets on that wall remember they stick out the thickness of the tile and a little more than the cabinets that don't have tile behind them. 
They also make metal French cleats that are a lot thinner than wood.  Roly
Im not sure what you mean by aesthetics?

(03-22-2024, 06:14 AM)David Stone Wrote: Im not sure what you mean by aesthetics?

I think he means that if you are installing next to an existing cabinet, the one over the tile will protrude out further. Also, depending on your tile type, size, grout lines etc.... You may wind up with gaps or shadows between the tile and the cabinet which might be aesthetically unpleasing. You would have clean, crisp lines if the tile is set and grouted after the cabinets are installed, eliminating the gaps.

I put my cabinets in before I installed the tile... but I also had that luxury, I was building a new kitchen from a bare floor and bare walls. I grouted right up to the cabinets eliminating the gaps and shadows along the cabinet.

[Image: BCbaSdm.jpg]
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS