Used Tool pricing is interesting…
I watch the used tool market in my local area and have found some deals over the years, but sometimes I wonder what people are thinking

Several years ago I passed on a Robland x31 5 in 1 machine because I couldn’t fit it into my small shop at the time.  The guy was willing to let it go for less then 1000 then.
Considering that was about one dollar per pound I thought it would have been a decent deal.
I have since seen them for as little as $600 and they still stay for sale for an extended time.

One just popped up locally and they are asking $4500, nope, I didn’t add any zeros to that, the asking price is more than 4K

Maybe they are hoping a sucker comes along, and they only need one.

If they were a little lower than that, i might start a conversation and see if I could get them to see what the market really is for the X31, but with their asking price, I am pretty sure they would get insulted by any conversation I were to start.

I know that some tools like Festool will bring 75% of new prices, but that’s for something that’s still in production, and you can still get parts for.  
As far as I know the Robland x31 hasn’t been sold New in the states for well over a decade.
Agreed,  I sometimes see something and I it is model that is several years old at what seems to be a nice price, then I go and look and find the current model, with more bells and whistles and a warranty is just 10% more and wonder what the seller is thinking.
There's a Robland X31 for sale on FB Marketplace right now in Leesburg, VA listed for $5200.  Looks to be in new condition.   You think that price is high?  The bottom end Hammer 5 in 1 machine costs over $10K new.  The smaller Felder is over $15K.  If I wanted a machine like that, $5200 would look pretty attractive.  No parts available?  Seriously, when was the last time you had a part break on your TS or planer?  Never for me.  Most bearings are common, too.  I'd take my chances w/o worry.  

But, yes, I get your point.  I've been casually looking for another RAS to replace my chopsaw which just can't make a perfectly straight, furniture quality miter cut no matter what.  There's a good looking Delta turret for $40.  $40!  Looks to be in good shape, too.  Then there's a Dewalt MBF (the little 3/4 hp motor, 8" blade one) for $800, and another one for $300.  Those are great little saws, and probably perfect for what I want to do, but I don't want to pay even $300.  So, yeah, prices all over the place, but there are good deals out there if you are patient.  

John
Just a few days ago i saw a Rikon 3040 lathe on FB Market. Seller says he bought it a few months ago and doesn't want to keep. Asking price was $4,500--new ones list at $4,499. I've got a dealer within 30 miles, and there's some online dealers that offer with free shipping, so the only savings would be the sales tax on a new purchase--while sacrificing a 5 year warranty for buying used. I'm not in the market, but if i was i wouldn't even attempt to make an offer to someone asking retail!!
(03-22-2024, 06:37 AM)greenacres2 Wrote: Just a few days ago i saw a Rikon 3040 lathe on FB Market.  Seller says he bought it a few months ago and doesn't want to keep.  Asking price was $4,500--new ones list at $4,499.  I've got a dealer within 30 miles, and there's some online dealers that offer with free shipping, so the only savings would be the sales tax on a new purchase--while sacrificing a 5 year warranty for buying used.  I'm not in the market, but if i was i wouldn't even attempt to make an offer to someone asking retail!!

He'll lower the price or decide to keep it.  A RAS near here was first listed at $1500. A week or two later it's down to $750.  Similar ones are listed around $250.  He'll get there, too, I suspect, if he really wants to sell it.  

John
Most ras over $100 ain't gonna move around here, it better be a good DeWalt at that price. Crapsman usually go for less than 50.
Delta turret arm saws will go for more, sadly they are few and far between.

Ed
(03-22-2024, 03:21 PM)EdL Wrote: Most ras over $100 ain't gonna move around here, it better be a good DeWalt at that price. Crapsman usually go for less than 50.
Delta turret arm saws will go for more, sadly they are few and far between.

Ed

I got $75.00 for a delta 9" turret head last summer.  It took a couple months.  Thought it would be useful when I bought it probably 20 years ago.  Never did find that use.  Good news was that I only paid $75.00 when I got it.  No account for inflation.
Paid $75 for my Super 900...lol
I didn't even run, did a full restoration on it.
It'll leave the shop when my cold dead fingers are pryed from it.

Ed
(03-21-2024, 09:36 PM)jteneyck Wrote: But, yes, I get your point.  I've been casually looking for another RAS to replace my chopsaw which just can't make a perfectly straight, furniture quality miter cut no matter what.  There's a good looking Delta turret for $40.  $40!  Looks to be in good shape, too.  Then there's a Dewalt MBF (the little 3/4 hp motor, 8" blade one) for $800, and another one for $300.  Those are great little saws, and probably perfect for what I want to do, but I don't want to pay even $300.  So, yeah, prices all over the place, but there are good deals out there if you are patient.  

John

Why isn't that Delta turret RAS already in your shop?

Even if the guides on the arm are worn, you can put it back in great shape fairly easily (assuming the motor and electrical are good).

If it is a 12", you will probably need a bushing to mount a new blade to the 5/8" spindle. Remember to use a negative rake blade.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(03-23-2024, 03:06 AM)iclark Wrote: Why isn't that Delta turret RAS already in your shop?

Even if the guides on the arm are worn, you can put it back in great shape fairly easily (assuming the motor and electrical are good).

If it is a 12", you will probably need a bushing to mount a new blade to the 5/8" spindle. Remember to use a negative rake blade.

Because the looks of the 33-285 just don't excite me very much.  There's a Delta 900 available for $250 about 90 minutes away. and there's a Super 900 available for $400 but that's a 4 hour drive each way.  There are plenty of Dewalts available, too, but I think I'd prefer the turret head Delta.  And I'm still wondering why I can't get perfectly straight cuts on my Bosch CMS.  I suspect the narrow kerf blades are the problem, but I'm hesitant to spend $250 for a Forrest Chopmaster just to see if that's really the problem.  

So, what would you all do?  I can be convinced.  

John