Rusted Jointer top Table and guide
Afternoon All, I am open to suggestions on what to use to clean up this Jointer table? as to not warp the table with massive belt sander.. LOL

Motor and other parts work great... just collected moisture in the shed from sitting and roof leakage I covered it in heavy plastic and bungie corded around it.. not sure if that hurt it more as no air draw and moister rose from the concrete floor?

any assistance is greatly appreciated..

TIA
Hog

Attached Files Image(s)

The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help them or concluded that you don't care. Either case is a failure of leadership.
~ General Colin Powell ~
Sorry about the rust.  What I have heard works well is a razor or scraper with fluid.  WD40 is one option,  diy rust remover is another.  Once you get most of the rust off, a scotchbrite pad should help with the rest.
Lots of effective ways to remove surface rust from a jointer table. Just go to YouTube and search on "How to Remove Rust from a Jointer Table" - many videos will appear.

Can't tell from your photo, but if you have some serious pitting you may be in the market for a replacement table or live with the imperfections. If not you should be able to get this one looking like near new.

Good luck!
Thank You all for your inputs, I went with the scraper method and elbow grease suggested in first comments. its working really well and will finish it out this way along with 0000 steel wool on a drill to polish, for now I used carnauba wax to seal any air to the area. as far as any pitting I am very lucky the rust did not penetrate any deeper into the metal and its all smooth still. I used penetrating oil spray on all the threaded parts and with a wire brush after removal should clean these up well?  

Thanks again for your inputs!!

Hog

Attached Files Image(s)

The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help them or concluded that you don't care. Either case is a failure of leadership.
~ General Colin Powell ~
I like to use a soft wire wheel on my angle grinder for that sort of thing. You just have to watch out for flying wires when you do it.
Hog, nice work, that looks very good.  Some folks try to get a mirror finish ( using scotch brite on a ROS ) but I don't think that is needed.
(04-03-2024, 01:10 AM)usahog Wrote: Thank You all for your inputs, I went with the scraper method and elbow grease suggested in first comments. its working really well and will finish it out this way along with 0000 steel wool on a drill to polish, for now I used carnauba wax to seal any air to the area. as far as any pitting I am very lucky the rust did not penetrate any deeper into the metal and its all smooth still. I used penetrating oil spray on all the threaded parts and with a wire brush after removal should clean these up well?  

Thanks again for your inputs!!

Hog

Good progress so far.

I am a little surprised that you did not just unbolt the fence and get it out of your way.

I would dis-recommend using steel wool in a drill to polish. You will wind up with thousands of little steel bits scattered all over your shop. Each of those bits will rust and discolor any paint or finish that they are laying on. Sadly, I learned that the hard way refinishing bright work on a boat. Little spots of rust all over the white paint of the cabin cruiser sides and painted decks that could not be removed without removing the paint.

If you really need to take that route, brass wool would do the same sort of work without the bits of steel floating around.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Remove the fence and gray Scotch-Brite pad with WD-40. No need to get perfect, but clean it and use the jointer. Keep it well waxed and every so often, work a bit more on the rust.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
A Little Update... I used a razor blade scraper as suggested in the first post. it worked Great with some elbow grease... once all the rust was removed I used break parts cleaner and a rag to remove any excess debris or oils? then used bees wax S100 polish over the entire bed and backstop to keep it sealed from moisture. I am very thankful it was just a surface rust and no pitting on the table or backstop... Not sure if my video will load, but here is a photo of the first board I put through as a test run. Thus not removing the backstop as I knew how I had left it set in 2016 when I closed up my shop do to personal reasons...  Video would not load... but she runs smooth and cuts like butter!!!

Attached Files Image(s)

~ General Colin Powell ~