Build Thread for my Brother's Urn
I lost my only brother two days after Thanksgiving last year. He had several health issues over the years including colon cancer twice and and about ten years ago contracted a rare muscle disease called Inclusion Body Myositis that eventually put him in a wheelchair. For most of his life (he was 73 when he passed) he was a big game hunter and used to spend a couple of months every year in Wyoming Elk hunting. He was my best friend and was the one who first introduced me to woodworking.

A couple of weeks before he passed he was hospitalized with abdominal pains. The doctors never determined the exact cause but they were pretty sure his colon cancer had returned. I think he knew this was the end and he told me he wanted me to make his Urn.

I don't care much for the standard short squatty Urn designs so I made it more in the shape of a large vase. I decided to do a staved vessel design and made the main body from Curly Maple with Ebony and Holly "splines" and used a Cherry Burl for the top section.

Here's a picture of the Curly Maple staves and the stock for the Ebony and Holly splines. The second set of staves are Red Terara I plan on using for a second vessel. 

Here are the splines glued up. I used three pieces of Ebony and two pieces of Holly for each spline.

I glued the staves up in two half-rings.

I then glued the two halves together and mounted on the lathe to turn the outside.

Next, I mounted it in my modified donut chuck to turn the inside. I need to get a better light!!!

Next, I added an Ebony ring to the top and turned a mortise to accept the top section.

Then I started working on the Cherry Burl for the top and discovered it had a big bark inclusion in the middle. I started to trash it and do something else but decided to fill it with black CA glue and continue turning it to see how it turned out.

It ended up looking pretty good so I finished it up and turned a tenon on it and glued it to the main body .

Frank
Next I started working on the lid but failed to take any process pictures except this one. I made a segmented ring out of Curly Maple with Ebony "spacers" and a Cherry Burl "knob".

I used my CNC router to engrave the bottom with his name, dates and a picture of an Elk. I think the picture is actually a Deer but it was supposed to be an Elk. Oh well, I think he'd expect me to screw something up!

This was a hard build for me but I always felt his presence while I was working on it, so that helped.

I think he'd be happy with it.

Thanks for looking!
Frank
Wow what a wonderful thing you did, sure made my day too!
VH07V  
(04-04-2024, 11:57 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Wow what a wonderful thing you did, sure made my day too!

Thank you!
Frank
That's a beautiful urn. Love the shape, wood selection, execution, everything. Very well done.
Frank
This is superb design and execution.
I’m sure your brother is smiling.
It’s a magnificent tribute and resting place!
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(04-04-2024, 02:52 PM)grwold Wrote: That's a beautiful urn.  Love the shape, wood selection, execution, everything.  Very well done.

(04-04-2024, 03:19 PM)Gary G™ Wrote: Frank
This is superb design and execution.
I’m sure your brother is smiling.
It’s a magnificent tribute and resting place!

Thanks guys! It was definitely a labor of love.
Frank
Echoes to all the kudos and thanks very much for posting the build photos. Are those brass threads on the top and in the lid? Do you mind sharing how you did that? Thanks again for the post- the urn turned out great!

Dave in Denver
(04-04-2024, 07:55 PM)Dave in Denver Wrote: Echoes to all the kudos and thanks very much for posting the build photos. Are those brass threads on the top and in the lid?  Do you mind sharing how you did that?  Thanks again for the post- the urn turned out great!

Dave in Denver

Thank you Dave! The threaded inserts are bronze that I bought from Carl Jacobson's website Niles Bottle Stoppers. 

Link: Niles Bottle Stoppers
[url=https://nilesbottlestoppers.com/product-category/threaded-inserts/][/url]
Frank
(04-05-2024, 07:11 AM)FrankAtl Wrote: Thank you Dave! The threaded inserts are bronze that I bought from Carl Jacobson's website Niles Bottle Stoppers. 

Link: Niles Bottle Stoppers
[url=https://nilesbottlestoppers.com/product-category/threaded-inserts/][/url]

gotta say, I've made a couple of urns, but that is the nicest one I've ever seen,  great work, Your brother would be proud.