A case to store a few chisels in?
(04-11-2024, 08:37 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Bad night, last night...legs were cramped up badly at 0400 in the morning.:

Tonic & Gin for the "Night-cap"...might sleep through the night?  
Winkgrin

My wife swears by [dill?] pickle juice for leg cramps. Buys cases of 'jigger-sized' bottles to keep around the house.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(04-14-2024, 12:23 PM)hbmcc Wrote: My wife swears by [dill?] pickle juice for leg cramps. Buys cases of 'jigger-sized' bottles to keep around the house.

An old, well-known remedy is a tablespoon of mustard.

What that cure and yours have in common is turmeric --  a readily obtainable spice containing curcumin (a natural, anti-inflammatory compound)
Last night, while on the computer..one of the cats decided to walk across the desk...and knocked over the glass of Tonic & Gin...yep, right onto the "old" keyboard...
So, this morning, I am working with a NEW Keyboard and Mouse set. 

Sunday?  Clamps came off the last glue up...then, cut a blank for the lid to length..

I was also able to cut the 4 pieces for the drawer..

Got the drawer front and back to fit into the opening...a bit snug, but..fixable..

The 2 sides were to be the drawers front...rebate wasn't working out,,so it got cut into the 2 sides. 

Front..

And the back needed a rebate milled..

I used a Craftsman No. 3720 ( Sargent No. 79, Type 2) to mill the rebates..

Sides need dovetails laid out..

have to allow for that rebate, too..

Got both ends of the back dovetailed..and cut a panel for the drawer's bottom to length..

Right about here,  Brain Farts, and crampy toes hit...time to sweep up the mess..

It was a bit busy 90 minutes IN the shop...

Today being a Monday...(cat attack was 0100 hrs this morning, BTW) unless I get really bored, I think I leave the shop closed for today.
Stay tuned...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
In my case...Tonic & Gin works to keep those morning "WAKE UP!" cramps away....none showed up this morning, either..

Tonic Water + 40 Proof London Dry Gin + shot of Mountain Dew Zero....ice cold, in a TALL glass.

Have to do a different Dovetail lay out to the Drawer Front..so that all one sees IS just the front of the drawer...we'll see...may have to shorten the side a bit...

Stay tuned..
(04-15-2024, 12:18 PM)bandit571 Wrote: In my case...Tonic & Gin works to keep those morning "WAKE UP!" cramps away....none showed up this morning, either..

Tonic Water + 40 Proof London Dry Gin + shot of Mountain Dew Zero....ice cold, in a TALL glass.

Have to do a different Dovetail lay out to the Drawer Front..so that all one sees IS just the front of the drawer...we'll see...may have to shorten the side a bit...

Stay tuned..

My alcohol intake has reduced to about 5% of what it was prior to hospitalization for pneumonia last spring. BUT, that gin and tonic sounds pretty good and I may need to have one tonight!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Drawer work, today...going to try half blind dovetails...on a Monday..

Pins done first..force of habit...double checked the layouts..

Then some chopping was done..AFTER a dovetail saw was done

Note..these will not go all the way through...note the stop line?

Saw at an angle, until both lines are touched...then chop away the waste..

Have a special chisel, to get back into the corners...

Dry fit..

Back corners are through dovetails...front are half blind dovetails...

Drawer bottom needed a little fine tuning..

Planed a bit off one long edge...then the clamps and glue arrived..

Will let this sit a day....

Zatarain's Red Beans and Rice, for supper?
Clamps came back off this morning...back was cleaned up...

Then both ends, and then the front...

Then the top edges were leveled....then the bottom of the drawer was leveled..

Then a test fit or 2...to look for any binding going on...

Added a support for the chisels, for now...not sure which ones will be in here..

Then pulled the diagonals across the drawer front, to find the center point, and drilled a hole..

Cordless drill, with a #4 bit....modified a Shaker Mini Peg..to act as a knob..and glued that in place..

maybe tomorrow, I can get the lid done?   And....see about adding feet to the bottom of the case? 

Stay tuned..
I save all pickle juice (Yes, you can also buy it). When the cramps hit at 3 in the morning I hit the juice. Takes about 2 minutes to take affect.
No sense in buying anything if you eat a lot of pickles.
Also I keep the 80oz Mt Olive dills around, those big fat pickles. I'll have one of those if the cramps hit when I'm doing the couch potato thing.

Lookin good there banditt. How many chisels can you get in there?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Top compartment?

At the moment...10 chisels...haven't loaded the drawer, yet...

Teaser, for now...

Back later with the "Rest of the Story.."
OK..lid required a rebate milled..

For no bigger than this was..I just needed a blade's thickness on the tablesaw...instead of messing around with spurs on the #3720...end grain cut was wider than the front and back ones...

Next, hand plane work...needed to plane a thumbnail to all 4 edges...

Starting with the end grain first....trick being to plane the half of the thumbnail, without nicking the wall of the rebate, as that has to match up with the top of the case..then I turn the lid around, and finished up the top edges..

Then hand sanded smooth with 80 and 220 grit sandpaper...once both ends were done, then the long grain edges were planed the same way..

Without nicking the rebate's walls again..was trying for a nice, crisp corner...

So, why that rebate?   because the barrel of the hinges rests there...

First the hinges needed a gap closed up..

Monarch Vise took care of that detail..

Then a chisel or 2...an Eggbeater with a 1/16" bit...

To chop out a relief the thickness of the hinge's leaf...drill a few pilot holes, and install 2 hinges into the lid...
Used the installed hinges, to layout where they were going on the case..

Chop, drill and install the screws....kind of rough to do, actually...as I had to hold the lid in place, hold a very tiny screw in place, and use the screwdriver...all at the same time....one screw per hinge to start with..THEN the other 2 were easier...

Stay tuned..