Presenting: The RAS Miter Table
(04-22-2024, 06:02 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Oh, that's interesting.  As typically is the case, someone was WAY ahead of me.  The circular scale is clever and helps reduce the overall size, for better or for worse, depending upon the scale of your projects.  It also allows you to cut any angle, if you can figure out how to hold the workpiece when it's almost parallel with the blade.  

One benefit of the linear scale on my unit is the increased accuracy.  I think Duby recognized that when they developed it.  

Thanks for posting that.  Do you use it?  If not, why not?  

John

Hello John,

Yes, I use the Miter Top with my Craftsman radial arm saw.

I made an auxiliary top for the Miter Top out of 1/4-inch Masonite to protect the actual top from being cut.

I use a 45-degree triangle to set the moveable miter bar rather than relying on the scale attached to the perimeter of the Miter Top.

A great accessory for $29.00!

Roger
John, This is a great idea , and something I may be interested in as well. I have a very nice RAS but currently just use it for 90 degree cutting and never move the arm, but my saw is setup on a longer table and fence. I would like to email you some pics if I could, to see if your system would work with my setup? Thanks John
Gordon
(04-23-2024, 04:37 PM)RogerD Wrote: Hello John,

Yes, I use the Miter Top with my Craftsman radial arm saw.

I made an auxiliary top for the Miter Top out of 1/4-inch Masonite to protect the actual top from being cut.

I use a 45-degree triangle to set the moveable miter bar rather than relying on the scale attached to the perimeter of the Miter Top.

A great accessory for $29.00!

Roger

Thanks for that feedback, Roger.  Glad it's been of use to you all these years.  I noticed right off that the protractor is fairly small in diameter, so the accuracy in setting the angle will be lower than with the system I have, and used on the Duby sled.  So setting it with the triangle is a good idea.  

John
(04-25-2024, 06:23 PM)gordon 131 Wrote: John, This is a great idea , and something I may be interested in as well. I have a very nice RAS but currently just use it for 90 degree cutting and never move the arm, but my saw is setup on a longer table and fence. I would like to email you some pics if I could, to see if your system would work with my setup? Thanks John
Gordon

Thanks, Gordon.  Sure, feel free to email me at 

jteneyck54@live.com  

I'd be happy to look at your setup and see if my miter table will work with it.  I can tell you already, as long as your fence is removeable, it will.  If it's not, then we have to make the miter table fit against that fence, which is how Gordon's Sears unit appears to be setup.  In any case, I think we'll be able to do it.  

John