Bench Project
(04-30-2024, 08:51 AM)Joe Bailey Wrote: I will second the idea of mounting the triangular feet with the point down.

I too, through a trick of the light, momentarily perceived them as being mounted that way in an earlier photo.

I'd also make them black

[Image: LCB3WC6.jpg]

Thanks for that idea, Joe & Steve.  My first reaction was "I like that look!" (actually everyone I showed your picture liked it).  After some time, my secondary reaction was "Does it look like a piece of furniture now? To formal?"  I will ruminate on this some.
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
I like it!, I like it alot!
Great job , it looks real good to my eye.
G
When I started reading this post, I wondered why you'd want a work bench on the front porch. Then I wondered why anyone would need a work bench with a curved top! Then the light came on; I like the design. Triangle legs pointing up doesn't look right to me. Black, pointing down is much better. Still many options for legs. Perhaps they could be removable to swap with taller legs. And would an end vice look out of place?
Smile
Smile
Smile
Sign at N.E. Vocational School Cabinetmaking Shop 1976, "Free knowledge given daily... Bring your own container"
That's a really nice, arty piece. The curves alone are calming, suggesting a tranquility garden even without one surrounding it.

I believe I've seen designs like this with round feet--perhaps natural-edge branch cut-offs mounted perpendicular to the bench's axis? Play with different diameters to see what balances well?

Another option: Use the upside down triangle design suggested as the cross-section for two feet, but shape the feet so their long axes reflect the bench's shape, with the shallower curve on top and the deeper curve on the bottom. Perhaps the tops of the two feet should extend slightly beyond the base of the bench, as well.
I really like it! Just curious as to whether the corners are going to pretty sharp if a person were to run into one of them? Not sure the aesthetic of rounded corners would look that great, though.
I am quickly realizing that I have NO natural talent... But I am trying to fake it.
(04-30-2024, 10:09 PM)MstrCarpenter Wrote: When I started reading this post, I wondered why you'd want a work bench on the front porch. Then I wondered why anyone would need a work bench with a curved top! Then the light came on; I like the design. Triangle legs pointing up doesn't look right to me. Black, pointing down is much better. Still many options for legs. Perhaps they could be removable to swap with taller legs. And would an end vice look out of place?
Smile
Smile
Smile

I think my better half would put the ixnay on an end vise.  But it has the weight to support one!
True power makes no noise - Albert Schweitzer.       It's obvious he was referring to hand tools
(05-01-2024, 06:41 AM)titanxt Wrote: I really like it! Just curious as to whether the corners are going to pretty sharp if a person were to run into one of them? Not sure the aesthetic of rounded corners would look that great, though.

The sharp corners are a possible issue.  I worry about the g-kids getting injured.  I might ease them a little if needed, but you are right it would ruin the look.
(05-01-2024, 05:48 AM)grwold Wrote: That's a really nice, arty piece.  The curves alone are calming, suggesting a tranquility garden even without one surrounding it.

I believe I've seen designs like this with round feet--perhaps natural-edge branch cut-offs mounted perpendicular to the bench's axis?  Play with different diameters to see what balances well?

Another option:  Use the upside down triangle design suggested as the cross-section for two feet, but shape the feet so their long axes reflect the bench's shape, with the shallower curve on top and the deeper curve on the bottom.  Perhaps the tops of the two feet should extend slightly beyond the base of the bench, as well.

That last option you mention is one I'm considering.  Another thought is just make the feet a mini-reflection of the bench.  I'll be trying several ideas.  I won't attach any, so will be easy to swap them out.

Thanks to all for the ideas and kind words!