Design Question - Will this topple?
Question 
Hello All,

I have a friend who asked me to build her a sewing station on wheels. I would post a picture of the design but its basically a box (like everything we do) that has the following measurements:

18" Wide x 33" Height x 40" Long

I plan to buy 3" casters so the cart will be mobile. This makes the total height 33" + 3" or 36"

Also, she wants a solid wood top that has 18" leafs which can be opened and supported by arms that get stored in the top when not in use.

So we would potentially have an 18" + 18" + 18" top on a 18" base that is 36" high.

I think we need a wider base.... 

Your thoughts?

Thanks, Bill
I just found this on the internet:

Table height: Taller tables, like bar tables, usually need bases with a wider footprint for stability. The base's width at the floor should be at least 0.6 times the table's overall height. For example, a dining height table (30 in) should have a base that's at least 18 in wide, while a bar height table (42 in) should have a base that's at least 26 in wide. However, it can be a good idea to make the base wider than the minimum to ensure stability

So if we take the height of 36" and multiply by .6 we get 21.6" for the width.
3" casters seems pretty big for this project. id think you wouldn't need much more than similar to this. also, a caster at each corner so 4 instead of 3 I think is wise.

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm confused is the top 18x18 or 18x40 (the first measurement you posted says 40" length)?

Is the base 18x18? That's certainly too narrow for 40" length.

Is the top with folded leafs going to be 18x18...then you have 18" wings on 2 sides? I get that as 54" when they are open.

Where's the 40" come in?
Go ahead and bump the width out to 24", but keep the sewing machine (is it going to be mounted?) towards the front of the cabinet. Don't put it in the middle of the cabinet.

And verify there isn't a "hole" she wants to put this thing into when she's not using it.
I would assume the box  is storing a "ton" of stuff. That adds to base stability, thus should be Ok. My wife inherited one at 13x13 at the base and 14x15 top that is a piece of furniture and hasn't tipped in 40+ years. The threat of sharps probably preserved respect.

Wheels are a conundrum. They will trundle over carpet if at least two inches, but esthetics could be a huge issue. Just don't count on tipping the box and rolling on two like a dolly; unless you have a magnet to pick up dribbles.

I can't talk to the tip-out levers you want.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(06-16-2024, 12:01 PM)JosephP Wrote: I'm confused is the top 18x18 or 18x40 (the first measurement you posted says 40" length)?

Is the base 18x18?  That's certainly too narrow for 40" length.

Is the top with folded leafs going to be 18x18...then you have 18" wings on 2 sides?  I get that as 54" when they are open.

Where's the 40" come in?

Sorry.... if you think about the unit as a cabinet, it would be as follows:

18" deep, 36" High and 40" Long. So the base size is 18" x 40" to answer your question.

As I mentioned, there will be two leafs that connect to the top. Each leaf is 18" so when the leafs are being used the table surface is 18"+18"+18"
(06-17-2024, 11:53 AM)DieselDennis Wrote: Go ahead and bump the width out to 24", but keep the sewing machine (is it going to be mounted?) towards the front of the cabinet.  Don't put it in the middle of the cabinet. 

And verify there isn't a "hole" she wants to put this thing into when she's not using it.

Thanks Dennis. I had already made up my mind to make the base width 24" vs 18".

Why would we place the sewing machine towards the front vs in the middle?

Good thought about the storage of the sewing machine. I will ask.
Even a 15” leaf is too deep. Someone will lean on it to reach the middle of the work surface and it will tip. Folding top tables with that large an overhang should have gate legs or similar.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

I wouldn’t do the leaves without a gateleg for each leaf.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.