Just Bought A Ridgid Band Saw - BS14002 - Need Blade Advice
This will be the one and only bandsaw in my shop. It did not come with a blade. I do not like changing blades. Thus, I would like to choose a blade (93 1/2") that I
can leave on and use it for almost everything. I will not be re-sawing 12" wide hard maple, or making little doodads like on a scroll... so....just every day hobbyist 
band saw use. Thus the question: what blade (size and manufacturer) might be the "do all" blade I am looking for? I assume I will get carbide, as I think it is worth the money.

Thanks for your help.
Marc
Sun City, AZ
I have a 1/2 inch blade that I leave on all the time.  If you want to occassionally cut 2 inch or thicker wood, go with a 3 to 4 tooth count.  I went with bimetal  Diemaster II because it is cheaper than carbide.  Resaw King by Laguna is a great carbide blade, but you will cry if it is breaks, it is pretty expensive.
I/4 -6 TPI  hook toothed blade from Timberwolf.

Tom
I have been happy with the Highland Hardware Wood Slicer blade.

For green wood, I use their Wood Turner blade.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
(06-23-2024, 03:11 PM)Paladin Wrote: what blade (size and manufacturer) might be the "do all" blade I am looking for?

If there were such a blade, that's pretty much what everyone would be buying.  Unfortunately, it doesn't exist.  Pick a blade and go with it.  You'll find out soon enough whether or not that blade configuration suits your particular woodshop needs.  Like most of us that find changing band saw blades annoying, you'll end up accepting compromises and bad performance as a convenience.
(06-26-2024, 08:19 AM)Bob Vaughan Wrote: If there were such a blade, that's pretty much what everyone would be buying.  Unfortunately, it doesn't exist.  Pick a blade and go with it.  You'll find out soon enough whether or not that blade configuration suits your particular woodshop needs.  Like most of us that find changing band saw blades annoying, you'll end up accepting compromises and bad performance as a convenience.

That is not true about excepting compromises. Just buy another band saw. Just change band saws not blades. Sorry Bob I just couldn't resist.

Tom
Since you are not planning on doing much or any re-sawing that kind of leaves out the wood slicer and a carbide blade because they are mostly for re-sawing. I do not own a carbide band saw blade but most are 3/4 wide blades to start with. I do not know if a 14 inch band saw would handle it for day in and day out use. I have a 17 inch so I will never have to find out but I would do some research before buying a carbide blade. The wood slicer comes in a 1/2 inch that works great on a 14 inch saw but it primary purpose is again re-sawing which you said you you were planning on doing much of of any.

I i/2 wide blade would be great for more straight line cutting but somewhat limited on curves which a bandsaw excels at. Some swear with a 3/8th wide blade which is a good choice And a 3/16 or 1/8 is not a great choice for general use .Good to cut with but do not pull out of the cut easily. Easy to pull off the wheel. 

In metal cutting blades, it is recommended that at least 4 teeth are engaged in the metal. If it is a good rule of thumb for metal it is good for wood, that is why the 1/4 -6 hook toothed blade is my choice. It is a jack of all trades and master of none. Easy to tension and doesn't strain the frame. I have tried 1/4 blades from the big boxes and they just suck. I have had good success with Timberwolf blades so I stick with them.

Tom
1/4", 6TPI blade is a good general-purpose compromise if you tend to do thinner stock and a bit more curves.

3/8", 4TPI blade is a good general-purpose compromise if you tend toward 3/4 and thicker and more straight cuts.  (you can still do gentle curves, or do the relief cuts to get tighter radii)

For this type of blade for my inca, I've been pretty happy with the Viking blades from Lee Valley.

I'd recommend ordering more than one at a time. Bandsaw blades will wear out faster than what you might be used to with a carbide tablesaw blade.

Matt
(07-03-2024, 10:08 AM)mdhills Wrote: 1/4", 6TPI blade is a good general-purpose compromise if you tend to do thinner stock and a bit more curves.

3/8", 4TPI blade is a good general-purpose compromise if you tend toward 3/4 and thicker and more straight cuts.  (you can still do gentle curves, or do the relief cuts to get tighter radii)

For this type of blade for my inca, I've been pretty happy with the Viking blades from Lee Valley.

I'd recommend ordering more than one at a time.  Bandsaw blades will wear out faster than what you might be used to with a carbide tablesaw blade.

Matt

Thank you, Matt.
Marc
Sun City, AZ
(07-03-2024, 10:08 AM)mdhills Wrote: 1/4", 6TPI blade is a good general-purpose compromise if you tend to do thinner stock and a bit more curves.

I'd recommend ordering more than one at a time.  Bandsaw blades will wear out faster than what you might be used to with a carbide tablesaw blade.

Matt

^^^^^^^

I have one or the other of those blades on my 14" Delta all the time.  

Don't spend money on a carbide blade unless you plane to resaw or slice veneer, which isn't easy to do on a 14" cast iron saw, regardless.  And don't use a carbide blade to cut curves as one side will dull before the other and then it will no longer cut straight.  Bi-metal blades have long life and are far cheaper.  

John