Next Project?
Ok...bought a stash of Ash...andit is now sitting in my house, getting used to the place..

Some good ones, and some not so good ones...about 15 planks of 1 x 6 planks....

Behind the Couch in our living room...there is...a Wheelchair that the Boss USED to need...and not much else...Hmmmm..

Maybe a "Sofa Table" of some sorts?  I have at least 12" between the wall and the top of the couch, at the narrowest spot..then it widens out a bit...

Drawers?  Not really needed, and no room to open them, anyway.   Plain Stretchers near the bottom of the legs?  Not sure about a shelf..as this will be between the back of the couch and the wall...

Shaker Style, or...Mission Style?   Most of the tables in the house are of a Shaker STYLE....

Currently, the Single Brain Cell Sketch Up is working on some of these questions...

Stay tuned....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Laundry Detail, TODAY!

Which usually means my hanging around IN the shop, waiting until time to load things up into the dryer

So...Film @ 2300 hrs...
(07-13-2024, 08:46 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Laundry Detail, TODAY!

Which usually means my hanging around IN the shop, waiting until time to load things up into the dryer

So...Film @ 2300 hrs...

how about green and green, kinda like both styles in one
Greene and Greene will have to include mahogany - it's a must. Stunning furniture style, IMO!
Hmmm...

1st two planks to the shop, today...

bit of a curve?

A bit rough around the edges...

Managed to cross cut and rip enough for 3 out of 4 legs..

With some left over for the end stretchers/aprons

First 2 leg blanks are being glued up..

And a 3rd one still over on the bench...

goal is for these to be ~ 2" x 2" x 32".....and tapered on 2 inside faces...

May double up the aprons, to 4" width...

Have hauled 2 more planks to the shop...a 35 gallon trash can of shavings, sawdust, and scraps upstairs and out to the Fire Pit...

Waiting on the clothes dryer to get done....and let the shop cool down...before anything else gets done..

have blanks for the 4th leg to mill, and the 4' long aprons/stretchers to mill......maybe tomorrow, I can see what I have in 5' lengths for the top's panel...

Stay tuned...
A Tale of 2 boards...
Board #1...both ends had serious knot issues and splits starting..when those were removed, had just enough length for 2 blanks for Leg #4...and a skinnier one for a stretcher at the bottom of the legs for either the front or the back of the table..

2 passes through here..and this is what I got..

Which I then glued up..

To let sit overnight...

Board #2...( plank #4)

Have seen better ones...managed, somehow, to rip a 3" wide strip of "Good Wood" from it..the rest?

Really wasn't worth more than firewood..

Had more knots than a Sailor...

I also glued up 2 of the better looking cut-offs from this pile..

Into a panel..

Figure I will need 2 aprons for the ends of the table, about 10" or so...panel is just under 23"...should be even there?

Stay tuned...
Ok..first 3 legs are out of the clamps...and have been all cut to the same length..

Not the "Prettiest Girls on the Boardwalk", but, we have ways of correcting that...
Leg #4 and the Apron blank had their clamps removed yesterday...

Leg #4 was then trimmed to length over on the MitreBox &Saw....to match the first 3 legs..

And THAT was all I was in the shop for, on a Monday...I thought...started to put things away, and cleared a space on the bench...dug up 2 of these Blue things..

One on this end, and..

One on the bench vise...Thought about trying either the No.15 jumbo Jack...

Or..maybe Old Heft & Hubris himself..

Decide on the Stanley No.6c....seemed to work better on this size of board..

Worked over both glue lines..then..

Since this face was still rough sawn...gave it a few swipes until smooth..

One leg is milled..3 to go....then, taper 2 faces...
As for that Stanley No. 6c?

It is either a Type 17 or Type 18?   Made during WW2 era...decent enough small jointer?
All four Leg blanks are smoothed out..

Along the way, hand to plane some "Fancy" grain..

And even some of that Mythical "Difficult Grain...

That did not even slow that old No. 6c down...

mark a start/stop line 5" down from the "top" of a leg blank...

A steel Yard Stick as a straight edge...mark a line from the 5" mark down to a 3/4" wide "foot"..

Waste side is to the left, here...Brand new, SHARP bandsaw blade, to leave the lines as best as it can..

Rotate the blank 90 degrees, and repeat...

Then, dog the blank to the bench..

This time around. I will be using the Millers Falls No. 15, Type 3...the No. 6c is a bit TOO long...and plane the tapered faces smooth..

Remember to mark which face is tapered...

Usually with a "T" right on top of the leg...which is also where the mortise for the Apron's Tenon will be...

One leg done..

Only 3 more to do..
Stay tuned...
All 4 legs are now tapered..

An extra mark,

Because I changed my mind on where a taper was going to be..

Let the legs sit a few days...need to work on getting a top glued up, THEN I can size the aprons..

These 2 planks, at one time, were part of the same board...but at 10'+ long, were too long to fit IN my car.  One one had a bit of planer SNIPE...deiced to cut that off and match that board to the other one, as far as length.   But, unable to access the tablesaw?
We have ways..

Fancy Disston 7ppi crosscut..

Either a D-100, or a D-115?

Test fit the 2 planks..

May have to add a 3rd"party to these 2...right now this is just about 10" wide, and I want 12"...andby the time I remove stuff like this..

And this...

I am going to be about 3" too narrow...

So..today, I will be sorting through the Stash of Ash, looking for a plank with a close match with the grain of the first 2 planks....

We'll see...stay tuned
Well, found a "match", except..there was a split running right down the middle...to where I could only get 2-1/2" width strips...and one wasn't even THAT wide...

The other 2 planks needed to be jointed..

Until I got a good STRAIGHT edge...that was then placed against the rip fence, and the other edge was cut parallel..

Then the "filler" strip's turn...until..

It could sit there, with no gaps...and then try a dry fit..

Hmmm, might need a few Cauls?

Pipe clamps and glue....working from the middle out towards the ends..

over, under, over.....then the cauls....plus  a hammer to adjust as needed..

Then double cauls to keep things flat..

And let this sit a spell....

Top is 53-1/2" long at the moment...and 11-1/2" wide....will need to trim for final length...thinking somewhere between 48" to 50"? 
Will adjust the length of the stretchers/aprons to the width...

Stay tuned...at least I can stand this up in a corner, somewhere...out of the way...