Old Disston Saw Refurbished
Cleaned, handle refinished, put into action today, cuts perfectly:

Nice! Always good to bring an old tool back into service.
Nice!  Looks brand new!
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Nice job. Looks like a D-8. Were you able to date it?
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(08-01-2024, 06:09 AM)AHill Wrote: Nice job.  Looks like a D-8.  Were you able to date it?

Did not really do so. What is it that you need to look at? I guess the medallion, and remember as if it matters if the 8 is in the D or not, or something like that...

By the way, if anyone is interested in infomration like this: In case of this saw I used simple furniture polyurethane (glossy) as finish, and I am very satisfied with it. It is sticky (do not stick to your hand but prevents slipping). Previously I used shellac and linseed oil, but this one is the most satisfying for me during work. However on this paricular type of Disston handle I found you can get the nicest color with boiled linseed oil. I just don't like that touch when sawing.
Hmmm...Bolt pattern..D-8.   Little V notch in the grip...pre-1928...same year that the "8" was moved from inside the "D" and a hyphen was added between the two...so...maybe 100 yr old saw...looking like it just came home from the Hardware Store that was a Disston Dealership. 

And..they were VERY GOOD saws...and still are when taken care of. ( says the guy with 4 such saws...)
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(08-01-2024, 09:41 AM)bandit571 Wrote: Hmmm...Bolt pattern..D-8.   Little V notch in the grip...pre-1928...same year that the "8" was moved from inside the "D" and a hyphen was added between the two...so...maybe 100 yr old saw...looking like it just came home from the Hardware Store that was a Disston Dealership. 

And..they were VERY GOOD saws...and still are when taken care of. ( says the guy with 4 such saws...)

Yep, and the medallion might be able to corroborate what Bandit says.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Looks like the Medallion dates it to 1896-1917. Rounded circumference, H. DISSTON & SONS, raised border around the shield with the scales, and stars between the name and city. In 1917, the medallion changed to cite just "DISSTON" and PHILA. So, you've got a very good saw which appears to be in very good shape.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(08-01-2024, 12:41 PM)AHill Wrote: Looks like the Medallion dates it to 1896-1917.  Rounded circumference, H. DISSTON & SONS, raised border around the shield with the scales, and stars between the name and city.  In 1917, the medallion changed to cite just "DISSTON" and PHILA.  So, you've got a very good saw which appears to be in very good shape.

The medallion says Philada. The etching is hardly visible by now, the essence can be seen, like the texts and the big D in the middle, but I cannot really see the 8, neither inside nor outside.
Good job. May it serve you well.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020