Replacing a Shower Valve
The valve in our shower is leaking.  I opened the wall to start getting things dried out.  I need to replace the valve; it has a slow drip even when turned off.  The shower is tiled.  From the back I can see a metal valve body mounted to a round plastic mount.  The mount is mounted against the back of the tile and the back of the plastic mount is flush with the back of the backer board - there's a hole in the backerboard for the plastic mount.  There is no framing or anything holding the valve in place.  There are 4 bolt ends sticking out of the valve body.  I've installed 2 shower valves (none in several years) and both of them were installed mounted to framing.  Is this one screwed through the tile under the escutcheon? I am hoping it is not some kind of adhesive as I don't want to be messing with the tile.

I looked at it some more this morning and near as I can tell the plastic mount is bolted through the escutcheon and the tile with 2 bolts, and there are another 2 that I assume are bolted through the tile under the escutcheon. It doesn't seem to be glued to the tile.

I’ve replaced four of those in the last two years, not just the cartridge but the entire thing. I was retiling all the showers, so I thought I’d replace the valves at that time.

The valve body should be attached to blocking.

Without pics, I can only guess what you need, maybe try replacing the cartridge first to see if it fixes the problem?
VH07V  
Is it possible that a faulty cartridge could be the source of your leak? Might it be worthwhile before tearing things apart to replace cartridge: a 30 minute job?
(08-02-2024, 11:12 AM)EightFingers Wrote: I’ve replaced four of those in the last two years, not just the cartridge but the entire thing. I was retiling all the showers, so I thought I’d replace the valves at that time.

The valve body should be attached to blocking.

Without pics, I can only guess what you need, maybe try replacing the cartridge first to see if it fixes the problem?

The valve body is assuredly not attached to blocking.  That's part of the reason I want to replace it.  I can't order the cartridge.   I was trying to replace the handle and set screw about 2 months ago. It's a builder grade fixture and the distributor no longer carries it and has no parts.  I am replacing all the bathroom lav faucets as they start leaking for the same reason.   I made it work 2 months ago.  Apparently, I should have replaced it.  I don't know if this will work but here is a picture of the back side.  It's dripping from the bottom center of the valve.   The other reason to replace it is my wife wants a black one to match the black lav fixtures that I replaced when I couldn't get cartridges for one of them last year.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0944V_Z9...eZUbUvvnBQ

I assume this is copper piping. If you’re comfortable with soldering, just replace the valve, that way you know it’s done. The tricky part is the tub spout part. That may require some careful measuring depending on which manufacturer you pick.

I couldn’t get the pic to load, sorry.
VH07V  
(08-05-2024, 01:23 PM)EightFingers Wrote: I assume this is copper piping. If you’re comfortable with soldering, just replace the valve, that way you know it’s done. The tricky part is the tub spout part. That may require some careful measuring depending on which manufacturer you pick.

I couldn’t get the pic to load, sorry.

The picture shows pex pipe and it is a shower only,no tub spout.  Roly
(08-01-2024, 08:24 PM)crokett™ Wrote: The valve in our shower is leaking.  I opened the wall to start getting things dried out.  I need to replace the valve; it has a slow drip even when turned off.  The shower is tiled.  From the back I can see a metal valve body mounted to a round plastic mount.  The mount is mounted against the back of the tile and the back of the plastic mount is flush with the back of the backer board - there's a hole in the backerboard for the plastic mount.  There is no framing or anything holding the valve in place.  There are 4 bolt ends sticking out of the valve body.  I've installed 2 shower valves (none in several years) and both of them were installed mounted to framing.  Is this one screwed through the tile under the escutcheon? I am hoping it is not some kind of adhesive as I don't want to be messing with the tile.

What does it look like from the front with the trim removed?   I'm betting the builder used the tile and thinset to lock the plastic mount in place, or maybe it has a flange seated between the tile and backer board.   \

It may, maybe, be possible to find a valve that will fit into the same mount.  Do you know the brand?

At least the piping is easy. Just be sure to grab a crimp ring cutter so you can reuse the pex. I'd opt for the clamping style replacements instead of crimp
The brand is some off-brand wholesale one. I'd have to look it up again. The supplier doesn't have parts. I already know that. I'm not going to try to find a compatible valve set. My wife wants a black one anyway. Not sure what it looks like with the trim ring off yet. I will find out this weekend. I don't think there's a flange on the plastic part. I can't see one from the back. If there is, it's getting cut off to remove the old valve and mount. My assumption right now is the bolts that run through the plastic mount are screwed through the tile. I am not afraid to replace the valve, done that before but it's been 10 or so years. It was unexpected to not see any framing for the existing valve. I've demoed a few bathrooms over the years and replaced a couple shower/bath valves never seen one that didn't have the valve mounted to some kind of framing. This is shower only, no tub spout to worry about.

Since I plan on leaving some sort of permanent access anyway, I will get some shutoff valves like sinks have and install those. That way I can turn the water back on and will be under less time pressure.

(08-05-2024, 03:07 PM)Roly Wrote: The picture shows pex pipe and it is a shower only,no tub spout.  Roly

If he has the pex tools, it’s less than 30 minute job.
VH07V