Lost a Month
On July 1st I had a total knee replacement.  For anyone who's had one, you know the drill.  For everyone else, let's just say the first week or two aren't much fun.  The pain wasn't that bad, really, but the lack of mobility because of swelling and limited flexibility made getting around a real challenge.  You spend most of the day with an ice machine hooked up to a pad around your knee, go to rehab, and otherwise don't do much of anything.  For me, that's torture.  Two weeks with a walker, a week with a cane, and then I was back to walking on my own.  My surgeon's PA says I'm ahead of schedule, but there's still a long way to go so I keep at it doing exercises and walking.  

I didn't go down into my shop for 3 weeks but started doing light stuff on my CNC after that.  If you remember the clock I designed and built, I finally figured out a completely silent motor drive to lift the weight back up.  It's pretty spooky to watch the weight rise up with absolutely no sound.  I learned a lot about stepper motors, stepper drivers, and Arduino controllers to do that.  It's week 5 now and I'm starting on a new clock, this one:

[Image: AP1GczMVgVZzlZBQcRZI3JDcVugCBvo2df-XCE1l...authuser=1]
This one was designed by an English guy who I bought the drawings from.  I love how the twin pendulums rock back and forth.  Like my clock, it uses a grasshopper escapement, too, so it will be quiet while running which my wife will appreciate.  I'm making veneer and gluing it into the plywood panels I'll need to build it.  

It feels good to be back in the shop.  It feels really good to have a pain free knee.  I hope you're all having a good summer.  Mine's looking a lot better now.  

John
Happy to hear all is heading in the right direction for you. I consider you a key contributor and always take note of your posts. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise with the rest of us. You are appreciated.
Glad to hear the knee is mending.  

That new clock build of yours should be pretty interesting. The design is very cool. I'd like to see that in action.
(08-06-2024, 11:09 AM)BrentDH Wrote: Happy to hear all is heading in the right direction for you. I consider you a key contributor and always take note of your posts. Thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise with the rest of us. You are appreciated.

Dittos! Continued good luck in your recovery, John!

Doug
Good to see you getting back into action
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Good healing! Don’t overdo it.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(08-06-2024, 10:35 AM)jteneyck Wrote: On July 1st I had a total knee replacement.  For anyone who's had one, you know the drill.  For everyone else, let's just say the first week or two aren't much fun.  The pain wasn't that bad, really, but the lack of mobility because of swelling and limited flexibility made getting around a real challenge.  You spend most of the day with an ice machine hooked up to a pad around your knee, go to rehab, and otherwise don't do much of anything.  For me, that's torture.  Two weeks with a walker, a week with a cane, and then I was back to walking on my own.  My surgeon's PA says I'm ahead of schedule, but there's still a long way to go so I keep at it doing exercises and walking.  

I didn't go down into my shop for 3 weeks but started doing light stuff on my CNC after that.  If you remember the clock I designed and built, I finally figured out a completely silent motor drive to lift the weight back up.  It's pretty spooky to watch the weight rise up with absolutely no sound.  I learned a lot about stepper motors, stepper drivers, and Arduino controllers to do that.  It's week 5 now and I'm starting on a new clock, this one:

[Image: AP1GczMVgVZzlZBQcRZI3JDcVugCBvo2df-XCE1l...authuser=1]
This one was designed by an English guy who I bought the drawings from.  I love how the twin pendulums rock back and forth.  Like my clock, it uses a grasshopper escapement, too, so it will be quiet while running which my wife will appreciate.  I'm making veneer and gluing it into the plywood panels I'll need to build it.  

It feels good to be back in the shop.  It feels really good to have a pain free knee.  I hope you're all having a good summer.  Mine's looking a lot better now.  

John

John- best wishes for a continued rapid recovery. 

Gene
Glad to hear of your progress John!! Keep up on your rehab, it will pay great dividends compared to not doing it!!
I can’t imagine what having a surgery like that is like!

I am glad you are on the upside and you can get back in the shop.
My shop is my happy place and I bet your is the same for you!
Beautiful clock! As one who has had total knee replacements on both knees, I can sympathize with your ordeal. I can attest the first couple of weeks is a pain management struggle. My advice is to religiously maintain the physical therapy schedule. Once the scar tissue has healed up, it's hard to regain any range of movement. For me, the physical part of recover was about 3 months, but the mental part took about a year before I could walk, negotiate stairs, and all without thinking about it. I'd do it again in a heartbeat, because I have so much more freedom of movement without pain. I can walk 10 miles in a single trip to Disney without any knee pain.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill