I said I wouldn't ever
I said I would never buy a track saw. Just didn't see a need. I have posted pictures of what I have in the past and just recently I might add. and I have been perfectly happy with it for at least 18 years. But it was quite cumbersome when I was cutting some rough sawn ash boards into 4 1/4 inch wide boards.

I was in Menards the other day and I decided to buy their track saw for $199. They have a 11% rebate so it boils down to basically a $180. I thought if it was no good I could just return in and get my money back. I got 110 inches of track in 4 pieces. Let me tell you this is a bare bones track saw. Yes, you can adjust it so the saw slides in the track but that is all the bones it has. The depth stop is about the worst piece of crap I have ever seen but once set it does what it is supposed to do. I came with 2 blades. I used the 24 tooth blade today to do all of my cutting but I think I will get a better one in the future.  It came with clamps but I had a couple of Wren clamps and switched them out, didn't even try them. 

Since I was cutting rough sawn boards I clamped the track. I didn't want to find out it it would stay in place with out clamps. I ran into problems once the I couldn't clamp the track because only half the track was on the remaining part of the board and couldn't be clamped.

So to say the least , in my opinion, the track saw, even if it is a Festool, will never replace the table saw. But I did get 3 ( 18+ wide Ash boards) broke down into 4 1/4 inch wide boards. The boards weighed 54.6 pounds each and if you are a month away from being 79 it is quite heavy. So I cut up about 160 pounds of boards safely. Wrestling 18 inch wide boards 8 foot long would not been fun on a band saw or even a table saw  but here the track preformed very well and just the ease of use caused it to find a home in my shop.

I didn't try to hook up any dust collection Usually I only have a couple of sheets of plywood to brake down and I do it outside so I had no idea. I didn't get it all but the broom got 90%. 

Anyway some pictures

Any way thanks for looking. Even die hards change there minds.

Tom
Darn it, Tom, you've left me as one of the last dinosaurs w/o a tracksaw.  I better stay away from any stores selling them for a few weeks to avoid getting sucked into the tracksaw vortex.  

Glad it's making your work a little easier.  Planks that large definitely are a bear to wrestle around.  Hefting green ones off the sawmill is telling me I need a helper, a young one.  

John
I can't even imagine anyone saying that a track saw will replace a table saw, on the other hand I find a track saw to be a worthwhile investment and can really earn it's keep in a shop. The most use mine gets is straight edging rough sawn lumber to start the milling process. Second to that is the sheet goods thing. I had been wanting to see the Menard's track saw and keep forgetting to look when ever I'm in the store. Glad this has worked out for you.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Very timely Tom.  And welcome to celebrating the fortieth anniversary of your 39th birthday; I'm five months ahead of you.  I have close to 100 bf of rough sawn mesquite to process.  I've never been tempted to buy a track saw; just thought they were for sheet goods.  The biggest problem for me...space.  A few years ago, I made a firm commitment "not to buy anything I didn't have space for".  Definitely do not need another saw.

Holy cow, Tom!  What were you thinking?  Just goes to show how hard it is for me to accept change.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I got one of Dino's tracks back in the days of the track wars here. Seldom used but is handy when needed. Mainly used as a way to cut a sheet width wise that the table saw won't do, say a 4x4 piece from a 4x8 sheet.
For rough lumber edging, I use my homemade sled for the tablesaw.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-07-2024, 09:32 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: I got one of Dino's tracks back in the days of the track wars here. Seldom used but is handy when needed. Mainly used as a way to cut a sheet width wise that the table saw won't do, say a 4x4 piece from a 4x8 sheet.
For rough lumber edging, I use my homemade sled for the tablesaw.

I always used a sled for edging rough sawn boards too. But my sled is only 12 inches wide. Now I can rough cut widths easier than before and then cut to rough length. It then gets flatten on a jointer then to planner and then to the sled for straight line ripping or edging with a flush trim bit on the sled if it is to long to do it easily on the jointer. I usually semi finish every thing and then finish all sides when I finish machining the boards.  

I always used my old system outside to brake down Plywood, and this is my first time doing it in the shop. But I had brought the Ash to the shop about a week ago so, I thought I would do it inside. Going to cut some plywood in two today. 

I plan on selling my old system, have a 2 day sale coming up. So that will also reduce the price of the upgrade.

I was kind of concerned about the Menard's saw because it is the cheapest saw on the market when factoring in 110 inches of track which was included. I have already drilled a couple of holes and I will hang the two 55 inch long pieces on the wall so It won't take up anymore room than the old system.

From what I have experienced so far is it made braking down the rough sawn boards a lot safer without danger of kick back. Usually I never got boards wider than 12 inches from a sawmill. This was my log.

So far I like it. Will let you know down the line.

Tom
I got the Wen saw and the Powertec track. It has come in handy. Mostly straight edging rough cut wood. Much easier than previous methods I employed. Very nice cut as well.

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

(08-08-2024, 08:46 AM)fishhh4 Wrote: I got the Wen saw and the Powertec track. It has come in handy. Mostly straight edging rough cut wood. Much easier than previous methods I employed. Very nice cut as well.

I just checked out the price of a Wen and power track tracks and it seems they are cheaper, so I stand corrected. I would have to order one to get it and mine was more of an on sight decision. I read on a different forum from people who have then and they never fail to say that they love their Festool.  The price difference is scary, for no more than I would use it Anyway I am glade I bought one even though I said I would never do it. I didn't see the need because of the way I did it before, worked well for cutting plywood. This works better for edging a rough board as well as braking down boards form a saw mill safely not as much danger of a kick back. 

Tom
Bought my Festool 55 series saw in 05, it was a game changer.
My guide was a long piece of 2" channel, paired with 2 quick grip clamps and a 7 1/4 Milwaukee saw, it worked, but a pita.

Years later I scored a 7 1/4" Hilti circ saw that fits the Festool rails. Nice to have a 2nd saw that uses standard blades and more power.

Ed
(08-11-2024, 12:19 AM)EdL Wrote: Bought my Festool 55 series saw in 05, it was a game changer.
My guide was a long piece of 2" channel, paired with 2 quick grip clamps and a 7 1/4 Milwaukee saw, it worked, but a pita.

Years later I scored a 7 1/4" Hilti circ saw that fits the Festool rails. Nice to have a 2nd saw that uses standard blades and more power.

Ed

I am familiar with the Festool 55 of today, but not what was available in 05. I am not trying to be difficult, but was the track and the set up different than today. I know or think I know that Festool was the first track saw on the market. It would have been to only choice for a while. But not today. There is a big difference between what I paid, which was $180, round figure, and a total of $974 for a Festool saw track and clamps. 

I am also not familiar with a Hilti circular saw that fits Festool track and if so, it would also fit other track from different companies.

I am not sure but I would think other people would be interested to hear what you have to say. Pictures would also be nice.

Tom