Band saw Blade
Quote:Is a Laguna Resaw King blade any good? I am at a point where I need to upgrade from a Wood Slicer blade. My Grizzly 17 inch Extreme takes a 131 1/2 blade. The blade says it is 1 inch wide. I now use a Wood Slicer 3/4 s on an inch wide. Is there perhaps a better choice?
Quote:
Tom
Tom,  I had a few Resaw Kings, and they leave a great surface on the wood, far better than anything else I have used . 

I have a 1 inch bimetal blade that I never use,  to me it is just too hard to get it on and off the saw, because you have to twist it around to get it to fit my Grizzly GO513x  ( similar to yours )  I find a 3/4 to 1/2 wide blades are much easier to get on and off the saw, though it  may just be me. 

BTW,  while the Resaw can last a long time,  you can also destroy it in a second or two if you do something stupid , like trying to cut a a piece of wood that is not totally supported and starts to twist while sawing - I can't recall how I broke the 2nd one.   Since that, I have stuck with Lennox Diemaster II -  it is a bit cheaper so you don't cry as much when you ruin it.

BTW,   I had a replacement blue urethane tire on my Grizzly a few weeks ago and a chunk of it blew off, causing the whole tire to come off the lower wheel-  I heard a loud noise and it took me a minute to react.  By the time I shut the saw off and the blade had come to a stop, it had run on just the metal lower wheel long enough that it messed up the set of the diemaster .  Yet another reason I try to avoid the expensive blades - while they last a very long time, I can come up with many ways to destroy them.
All I ever run is bi-metal blades. Works for me.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

The throat plate on my G0636X has a pretty large slot in front of the blade.  I looked at the photos of the G0513X and the slot looks just as wide.  I made a new insert from Baltic birch plywood and cut the slot with the blade to create a ZCI.  Now when I saw veneer there's no danger of the last slice getting pulled down into that slot and wreaking havoc with the blade.  Somehow, I know that can happen.  If you slice veneer with your saw, I highly recommend making a ZCI throat plate for your saw.  

John
I have already changed out the throat plat with one I made and I am listening to each of the other two replies. I either re-glued my tires or replaced them quit a while ago. Maybe I do not want to go where I am headed.

Tom
I've used quite a few different type of blades to resaw with.  Plain old carbon steel, Woodslicer, bimetal, and carbide.  The only ones that cut very, very smoothly AND last a really long time are the carbide ones.  Bimetal are second, but distantly so, and do not cut nearly as smoothly.  Further down is carbon steel.  And the shortest life of the ones I've used was the Woodslicer.  I don't think it lasted 20 feet in 8" hard maple.  

There's no right blade for everything, but if you want straight, smooth cuts and long life only a carbide blade will deliver that combination.  That said, I would never use a carbide blade for a general purpose blade unless I was cutting some nasty tropical wood every day.  Cutting arcs, circles very much will dull one side of the blade faster than the other and then it won't cut straight.  I use carbide blades exclusively for resawing and slicing veneer.  For general use, I use bimetal.  

John
I have 4 bandsaws, 3 in the shop and a 1940s vintage Delta 14 inch saw out on the floor  for sale. All I do on the Grizzly is resaw. I am asking about the blade because it is 1 inch wide and I am not sure I can tension it on that particular saw.

Tom
Bug 
(08-15-2024, 08:20 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: I have 4 bandsaws, 3 in the shop and a 1940s vintage Delta 14 inch saw out on the floor  for sale. All I do on the Grizzly is resaw. I am asking about the blade because it is 1 inch wide and I am not sure I can tension it on that particular saw.

Tom

Have you checked grizzly's site to see if they recommend blade width's for your saw?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-15-2024, 08:20 AM)tablesawtom Wrote: I have 4 bandsaws, 3 in the shop and a 1940s vintage Delta 14 inch saw out on the floor  for sale. All I do on the Grizzly is resaw. I am asking about the blade because it is 1 inch wide and I am not sure I can tension it on that particular saw.

Tom

You can measure the tension of the blade quite easily.  I've shown this tension gage several times.  You can make it in an hour.  Or you can use a set of Vernier calipers and two little C-clamps for the task.  Now that I think about it, I went through this in your post on SMC on how to extrapolate the results to a wider, thicker, etc. blade.  

John
I am sorry I have to write this but, I do not care how to tension a bade that I do not own. I do not care what blade you use on your saw if your the saw is not a Grizzly 17 513X Extreme  band saw and that takes a 131 1/2 blade. And it does however have cast Iron wheels which somehow confuses people as to what saw Grizzly make that I have which that takes a 131 1/2 saw blade. If your saw takes other than a 131 1/2 inch blade. Your width of blade is of no use to me.

I will ask the question again, is the  Laguna Resaw King blade any good. And The blade says it is 1 inch wide. I now use a Wood Slicer 3/4 s on an inch wide. Is there perhaps a better choice? or I probably should have  asked  is anyone running that particular blade on their Grizzly 17 inch 513X saw and only that saw.  If no one is using it is there a better choice? And where do I get it?

Tom