Playing with an X Carve
Hi All,

Quick question for those of you with CNC routers.  I just learned that my local library has an X Carve that is available to book time on.  I've never done anything with CNC.  Any suggestions for a first-time project to whet the ol whistle?

Thanks!
Kevin
(08-14-2024, 04:25 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Hi All,

Quick question for those of you with CNC routers.  I just learned that my local library has an X Carve that is available to book time on.  I've never done anything with CNC.  Any suggestions for a first-time project to whet the ol whistle?

Thanks!
Kevin

You will need to able to generate g-code to tell the machine what to do.  I use V-Carve Pro software which allows me to develop drawings for what I want to make and then create the g-code needed by my CNC.  That software cost $750.  There are some free design software packages available that can create g-code.  Fusion 360 is one that can do most anything but has a really steep learning curve, so steep that I gave up.  Easel is another.  It's much easier to learn, but pretty limited in what it can do.  I'm not sure if Carveco has a free option, you might want to look into that.  There might be others, too.  Talk to whoever is in charge at the library.

As for what to do, I just started using mine as part of my furniture making.  Take a cabinet side with lots of shelf pin holes in it, for example.  It's so much easier and faster to do on the CNC and the accuracy is better, too.  One-off parts are a time suck for the design work, so the project has to be difficult to do by hand to justify the time.  The CNC shines at making multiples, perfectly identical multiples.  

You can amuse yourself making 3D carvings but you won't learn much unless you have software powerful enough to do the design work, and that's a heavy lift.  But you can buy files on Etsy, load them into your software, create the g-code and then watch the machine make some cool stuff.  Very little learning, however, other than about toolpath strategies.  

I love having a CNC.  It has allowed me to do things I never would have tried by hand and taken the drudgery out of some things I used to do by hand.      

John
…toolpath strategies…

And clamping strategies!
VH07V  
If you're interested I got a 12 month subscription to Carveco Maker when I bought my Onefinity CNC that I never activated which I'd be happy to give to you; just PM me.  I use V-Carve Pro.  Much of the learning of the CNC is learning the software to create the models and toolpaths.  It's not that bad though if you're at all familiar with any drawing programs.
Thanks for the replies all.  Local library offers orientation on the CNC once a month, so I am signed up for September.  Figured I'd give making a cigar ashtray a shot as a first project.  I'll post here as progress, or failure, occurs 
Laugh
(08-14-2024, 04:25 PM)brnhornt Wrote: Hi All,

Thanks!
Kevin
Since they have a CNC 'to loan', they probably have CAD/CAM software for it. Find out what software they license and look at some youtube tutorials - although I'm sure they'll cover that in the orientation you've signed up for.

Most of the major CAD/CAM software makers have beginner tutorials and projects.

A simple ashtray seems like a fine first project. Follow the KISS principle.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
Hi brnhornt,
 While you wait for your intro class you could start on the project by downloading one of the free programs out there and creating a STL file of the ashtray you want to create. 
 An STL file is a 2-dimensional scalable shape of your project. Tool paths with various depths and profile bits are assigned to the STL file so the CNC can create a three-dimensional project.
 I have a Shapeoco CNC router and they provide a program free to all called Carbide Create. You can export a STL file out of this program and save it on a thumb drive to take to the library. Then use their programs to scale and add tool paths and create G-code for their CNC.

P.S. I am curious how the library handles the router bits and CNC maintenance. With multiple beginners I can imagine broken bits and carved up cnc beds happening often. I consider myself an advanced beginner and still manage to break bits or drill the bed once in a while.  Does everyone have to provide their own consumables? do they stock a few of the popular bits to borrow? You will need maybe a 1/4 and or 1/8 straight bit minimum and a tray bit if you want rounded edges on the inside of the tray as well as a V-bit if you want to carve writing or designs in the tray bottom. Please share how all this works along with your project when it is done.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
I have a Shapeoko CNC and use CarbideCreate. It can export to SVG format.
I am a novice user but have made a few things.

For a free program it is a good product and is supported and constantly being updated.
(09-02-2024, 02:04 PM)KyleD Wrote: Hi brnhornt,
 While you wait for your intro class you could start on the project by downloading one of the free programs out there and creating a STL file of the ashtray you want to create. 
 An STL file is a 2-dimensional scalable shape of your project. Tool paths with various depths and profile bits are assigned to the STL file so the CNC can create a three-dimensional project.
 I have a Shapeoco CNC router and they provide a program free to all called Carbide Create. You can export a STL file out of this program and save it on a thumb drive to take to the library. Then use their programs to scale and add tool paths and create G-code for their CNC.

P.S. I am curious how the library handles the router bits and CNC maintenance. With multiple beginners I can imagine broken bits and carved up cnc beds happening often. I consider myself an advanced beginner and still manage to break bits or drill the bed once in a while.  Does everyone have to provide their own consumables? do they stock a few of the popular bits to borrow? You will need maybe a 1/4 and or 1/8 straight bit minimum and a tray bit if you want rounded edges on the inside of the tray as well as a V-bit if you want to carve writing or designs in the tray bottom. Please share how all this works along with your project when it is done.

You might be confused.  And STL (Stereolithography) is a 3D file created from the vertices of triangles in 3 dimensional space.  STL files are what are used for carving 2.5 and 3D objects on a CNC.  Several CNC CAD programs can read and generate g-code from imported STL files; fewer can actually create a STL file.  I use VCarvePro at $750, for example, and it can read an imported STL file and generate g-code for my CNC to run, but you would need Aspire at around $2000 to create a 3D (STL) drawing. 

Basic CNC CAD programs can easily draw (or import) 2D drawings from which you can generate toolpaths to drill holes, dados, rabbetts, chamfers, etc. and cut out parts.  The key with using any 2D CAD program is being able to visualize the third dimension.  

John
Yes I was confusing STL with SVG. it is a SVG file I was actually trying to post about. I should know this. Darn my limited memory.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!