3M PPS is a game changer
When i spray my finishes, I use a turbine setup. I didn't use it as much as i should because with smaller projects I spent as much time cleaning it as I did applying the finish. But a few years back i bought the 3M PPS system for it. Then covid hit and after a few of life's interruptions appeared so i hadn't used the PPS...until this week. Wow, does it ever simply things. It's not exactly cheap, but it's certainly a better mousetrap. It had been so long since i sprayed anything it was almost comical trying to get set up to spray again, but once things got squared away The PPS really simplifies the whole process. You don't have to strain your finish (PPS has a built in filter) and clean up becomes more of a 10-15 minute job. If you spray much at all it's worth considering.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-29-2024, 06:09 AM)fredhargis Wrote: When i spray my finishes, I use a turbine setup. I didn't use it as much as i should because with smaller projects I spent as much time cleaning it as I did applying the finish. But a few years back i bought the 3M PPS system for it. Then covid hit and after a few of life's interruptions appeared so i hadn't used the PPS...until this week. Wow, does it ever simply things. It's not exactly cheap, but it's certainly a better mousetrap. It had been so long since i sprayed anything it was almost comical trying to get set up to spray again, but once things got squared away The PPS really simplifies the whole process. You don't have to strain your finish (PPS has a built in filter) and clean up becomes more of a 10-15 minute job. If you spray much at all it's worth considering.

I bought my spray setup from Jeff Jewitt based on John T's recommendation.  The PPS setup is the way to go.  Now I can just spray and not worry about the position of the cup.  Glad you like it Fred.
Lonnie
(08-29-2024, 06:09 AM)fredhargis Wrote: When i spray my finishes, I use a turbine setup. I didn't use it as much as i should because with smaller projects I spent as much time cleaning it as I did applying the finish. But a few years back i bought the 3M PPS system for it. Then covid hit and after a few of life's interruptions appeared so i hadn't used the PPS...until this week. Wow, does it ever simply things. It's not exactly cheap, but it's certainly a better mousetrap. It had been so long since i sprayed anything it was almost comical trying to get set up to spray again, but once things got squared away The PPS really simplifies the whole process. You don't have to strain your finish (PPS has a built in filter) and clean up becomes more of a 10-15 minute job. If you spray much at all it's worth considering.

Sure takes the drudgery out of spraying, doesn't it?  And if you're cheap like me, you can clean out the cups and lids and reuse them.  For literally years.  You can even store unused finish in the bag/lid with the plugs that come with them.  I stand them in a quart yogurt container so they don't fall over.  For short term storage, this works great and avoids multiple cleanups.  

And being able to spray at any angle was reason enough for me to go to the PPS system.  

Happy to see you're pleased.  

John
I quit using that system, to messy for me.
I now use the DeVilbiss bag system.
I use 1 quart Zip-Lock freezer bags with it.
they collapse much better and it's much cheaper too.
(09-08-2024, 10:42 AM)jcclark Wrote: I quit using that system, to messy for me.
I now use the DeVilbiss bag system.
I use 1 quart Zip-Lock freezer bags with it.
they collapse much better and it's much cheaper too.

I know about their D-Kups system.  Is that what you're using?  

The D-Kups system doesn't appear to have a cup that can be pressurized.  I use the PPS HO cup, which has a pressure port so the cup can be used as a pressure feed gun, which I find to be the difference between success and failure with high viscosity, WB finishes.   

FWIW, with WB products I clean the collapsable cups and filters for the PPS system.  They last years, so the cost is almost zero after the initial purchase.  

John
No I use the bag system, no cups,
I don't use their bags, I use Zip-lock.

https://www.zoro.com/devilbiss-disposabl...lsrc=aw.ds
(09-08-2024, 12:26 PM)jcclark Wrote: No I use the bag system, no cups,
I don't use their bags, I use Zip-lock.

https://www.zoro.com/devilbiss-disposabl...lsrc=aw.ds

Thanks.   

John
Maybe a dumb question...you using a new gun with the PPS...or just use their tips and cup with an existing gun?

So disposable spray cups and tips.  Roughly $8 per tip and @2 per cup...so $10 to spray each time?  If I'm on the clock, that's a lot cheaper than cleanup time.  But as a hobby, I may be too cheap for that
Laugh
(09-08-2024, 03:20 PM)JosephP Wrote: Maybe a dumb question...you using a new gun with the PPS...or just use their tips and cup with an existing gun?

So disposable spray cups and tips.  Roughly $8 per tip and @2 per cup...so $10 to spray each time?  If I'm on the clock, that's a lot cheaper than cleanup time.  But as a hobby, I may be too cheap for that
Laugh

I'm not sure who you're asking, so I'll reply and others can if they want. I have a Fuji 4 stage setup that 've had for probably 10 years, and I'm using that gun. With it each use takes a cup and a lid...and as John pointed out you could clean those and re-use them should you feel the need.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Was asking you, or whoever. Looked up 3M PPS and found a bunch of links to the cups.

A little more digging found the tips.

If I were to clean the cups, how is that any quicker than cleaning the cup I already have?

I'm a very inexperienced air painter...so I'm trying to learn here. One reason I haven't sprayed more is because of the cleanup time vs time races by spraying. If cleanup is that much easier, it's very attractive. Just trying to figure out what "it" is.

Thanks!