Non sawstop mobile bases with a sawstop ICS
I'm having a hard time justifying $429 for just a mobile base.  Has anyone used some other mobile base with their sawstop?
I don't have a SawStop but I don't see why you would need one of their bases to move it around. I built my own base for my own needs. It was quite a bit cheaper than $430. I suspect you could do the same or buy a cheaper adjustable one.
(08-29-2024, 04:44 PM)stav Wrote: I don't have a SawStop but I don't see why you would need one of their bases to move it around. I built my own base for my own needs. It was quite a bit cheaper than $430. I suspect you could do the same or buy a cheaper adjustable one.

I agree.  I keep going back and forth about it.  On one hand, if you're spending that much on a saw you should probably just get over it and get the mobile base.  

On the other hand, it's a stupid price for a mobile base, and as you said you can make one just fine.  I'm about 6'4" so I could just laminate a couple pieces of 3/4" ply together and add some high quality casters under that.  And it would have the extra benefit of getting the table higher off the ground.  

I have very limited time for for now though.  And I'll want to be able to move it around until I get the new shop layout in place.  I can still move it with the gantry if I really need to though.
There's no reason a different base wouldn't work assuming it can handle the weight and dimensions of the cabinet. The other thing to note is that the SS base lifts the saw straight  (as opposed to tilting to one side as most bases do) and when it goes straight up it lifts the extension as well, so give that some consideration when looking at alternatives. I know the Delta mobile base i had on my Unisaw would lift the extension but it took some effort to force the wheel down. The SS base with the hydraulic jack just makes things easier. When all is said and done I'd say buy once, cry once, and get the SS base.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-30-2024, 05:14 AM)fredhargis Wrote: There's no reason a different base wouldn't work assuming it can handle the weight and dimensions of the cabinet. The other thing to note is that the SS base lifts the saw straight  (as opposed to tilting to one side as most bases do) and when it goes straight up it lifts the extension as well, so give that some consideration when looking at alternatives. I know the Delta mobile base i had on my Unisaw would lift the extension but it took some effort to force the wheel down. The SS base with the hydraulic jack just makes things easier. When all is said and done I'd say buy once, cry once, and get the SS base.

I'm going to be at the showroom tomorrow.  They should have one on display there.  So maybe after playing with it I'll feel better about the price.
I really like the Sawstop mobile base, so much that I bought a few of the jacks and ordered a few other parts and welded some copies up in other sizes for other equipment.
They are very impressive mobile bases. Lifts with ease and moves in ANY direction even easier. I struggled with the decision when I bought the Sawstop PCS which they offer a lower model mobile base for, but the ICS base will also fit. If you intend to move your saw around more than a few times a year I think you will like it.  I hope you are able to see it in person because I think you will be impressed.
(08-30-2024, 09:12 AM)blanning Wrote: I'm going to be at the showroom tomorrow.  They should have one on display there.  So maybe after playing with it I'll feel better about the price.

One thing to be sure and look at is the maximum lift height it has. A common complaint about it is that it can get stuck on relatively low floor irregularities. I think it lifts about 5/8" or so and that's been a problem for me a couple of times.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I can't imagine not having one for my saw.
(08-30-2024, 10:59 AM)fredhargis Wrote: One thing to be sure and look at is the maximum lift height it has. A common complaint about it is that it can get stuck on relatively low floor irregularities. I think it lifts about 5/8" or so and that's been a problem for me a couple of times.

My floor is new concrete and it's smooth as glass.  I want to put some kind of cabinet under the side table though which complicates matters.  Making something myself could solve that.  

I still might want to get it anyway.  We'll see what it looks like when I get there.