SawStop Contractor Saw Upgrade?
Hi all.
Due to some medical issues (back related) I want to sell my Grizzly G0771Z and replace it with a SawStop contractor saw for safety reasons. I would like to hear from anyone that has this saw. The base unit fence does not look very good. I have no problem with upgrading but that means having the 36” fence. Space is a major consideration along with having a mobile base. So, my question are:

1.     How mobile is this with the 36” fence and how do the table legs move with the saw? The Grizzly is 33” with the bear crawl and works really well. No legs needed. 33” is more than I need.
2.     Is the mobile base worth $239? The Grizzly Bear Crawl work really nice.
3.     Is that round 30” fence any good?
4.     What about dust collection? I have an Oneida mini-Gorilla.
5.     Do I really need to upgrade to the cast iron wings or are the stamp aluminum ok?

I’m looking to sell the Grizzly for $850 with the bear crawl mobile base, 2 ZCI’s. one on the saw and one new and I have a built on outfeed table on piano hinges with 2 legs. Is this a fair price. Machine is I think 5 years old and hobby use.

Thanks,

Mike
I have a 3 HP Saw stop so I can't answer all your concerns. But I have age related problems and some back problems also. I had a General 350 and changed to a Saw Stop. I had a friend (Dead now ) who did crafts professionally and he almost cut his thump off. If he can do it, I can do it. I changed saws. I have insurance on my house, contents and car, anything can happen at any time. Back problems can compound the problem, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

As far as the fence goes. It can be taken to a machine shop and cut to any length desired, Here in Iowa most shops won't even charge you. 

I would buy the 1 3/4 saw over the contractor, but I haven't researched the differences verses cost. Because quality is long remembered when the cheap price is forgotten. The table saw is the backbone of the shop as far as My shop is concerned. Actually the work bench is, but that is a different story.  As to the table saw get the best you can afford. The old saying is cry once right now you cried when you got your saw and will cry again when you buy another.

Whish you well
I've had the contractor's saw since 2008 and as a hobbiest, have no complaints.  I have the 36" T-Glide fence, cast iron wings and the mobile base.  I can't imagine the fence or cast iron could be improved upon - the fence is very accurate and doesn't move at all, and the wings are dead flat and make the table very heavy.  

I have a vague memory of it not being all that easy to move, but I haven't moved it since I first set it up and it might have been just be because of how heavy it is.

Dust collection is ok.  There's a port on the on the left hand side of the shroud below the table and my dust collector is to the right hand side of the saw meaning the flexible duct has to make a 180 to get there.  I considered getting the add on port that exits out the back of the saw (I think), but it bugs me that I should have to spend $70 on something that should have been designed into the saw to begin with.

The blade rubbed the insert it came with a little bit, but SS sent me another one right away with no questions.  Changing the blade guard/riving knife is very quick and easy.

I haven't made any upgrades, so I can't compare what I have with the base model, but it's been a very solid saw and I couldn't be much happier with it.  Never triggered the safety mechanism, but I'm happy to know it's there just in case I do something stupid.
I have the contractor saw with the same upgrades as Bach1750: 36" T-glide fence, cast iron wings, and mobile base.  I've had it a long time as well -- I don't recall exactly how long, but it was a pre-release model when the only sawstop sold was the one now called the ICS.  The mobile base makes it very easy to move around.  It lifts the table support legs off the ground to move.  The stamped steel wings that were included have never been on the saw, seem adequate, but are not very heavy gauge. 

To save money, have you considered getting the cheapest version and swapping the fence and mobile base with your current saw?  You might even be able to make the wings fit if they are beefier than the sawstop ones.  Or you could see if the 30" default fence is acceptable, and buy a Bies style fence if not.
I realized you might be interested in a couple of other upgrades.  I used 1/4" plywood to box in the bottom of the saw to attach dust collection below, and I got the dust collecting blade guard when it came out.  I don't know whether it's now standard.  Using a shopvac above the table and a larger DC below works quite well except for skim cuts.

If you do close in the bottom of the saw, it's obvious you need to watch out for the motor sticking out the back.  But if you get the mobile base you also need to watch out for an arm that sticks up into the base when the mobile base lifts the saw.

I made a folding outfeed table for mine.  It's fixed and full width only 13" back, then hinges to hang down while not in use.  This makes room for the motor at any tilt, and provides a small but useful outfeed with grooves for miter bars.  The fold down part has no miter grooves and is a bit narrower.  It can be moved sideways because it has 3 hinges, but the stationary part has 4 equally spaced hinges.  I pulled the hinge pins and replaced them with nails to allow easy removal and adjustment of the table.  Legs can be attached to the corners simply by fitting them into open mortises.

Contractor saws got a bad name because some got out of alignment and were difficult to fix.  Tilting the blade so the motor hits a poorly designed outfeed table can misalign a saw so you can't make the blade parallel to the miter slot both when the blade is square and when tilted to the table.  This is caused by twisting trunnion rods relative to one another.  My sawstop has stayed aligned.
(09-05-2024, 09:29 PM)Alan S Wrote: I have the contractor saw with the same upgrades as Bach1750: 36" T-glide fence, cast iron wings, and mobile base.  I've had it a long time as well -- I don't recall exactly how long, but it was a pre-release model when the only sawstop sold was the one now called the ICS.  The mobile base makes it very easy to move around.  It lifts the table support legs off the ground to move.  The stamped steel wings that were included have never been on the saw, seem adequate, but are not very heavy gauge. 

To save money, have you considered getting the cheapest version and swapping the fence and mobile base with your current saw?  You might even be able to make the wings fit if they are beefier than the sawstop ones.  Or you could see if the 30" default fence is acceptable, and buy a Bies style fence if not.

Well, I posted the Grizzly and I had 4 offers the first day and it sold at my asking price. I just missed the sale SS had but I'm not reading for it anyway. Price is not so much as issue as space and size. After you price out the contractor saw with all the upgrades it comes within 5 or 6 hundred dollars of the cabinet saw. The problem for me is the contractor saw is about 250 pound, the other is over 400. Installing that would be a bear. I live in a 55+ community so I do not have many strong friends with good backs. At 69 and a bad back I really don't need that level of a saw. I have made all my big projects. I had a old 3hp Delta in my old house with a full shop. That saw never had to move. 

I need to see if Woodcraft or Rockler has these on display.
(09-06-2024, 07:15 PM)Mike 55 Wrote: Well, I posted the Grizzly and I had 4 offers the first day and it sold at my asking price. I just missed the sale SS had but I'm not reading for it anyway. Price is not so much as issue as space and size. After you price out the contractor saw with all the upgrades it comes within 5 or 6 hundred dollars of the cabinet saw. The problem for me is the contractor saw is about 250 pound, the other is over 400. Installing that would be a bear. I live in a 55+ community so I do not have many strong friends with good backs. At 69 and a bad back I really don't need that level of a saw. I have made all my big projects. I had a old 3hp Delta in my old house with a full shop. That saw never had to move. 

I need to see if Woodcraft or Rockler has these on display.

Mike,
 I had the same weight issues as you with the 3HP Sawstop especially getting it in to my basement shop. For around $200 2 guys from Woodcraft delivered it to my basement and did the heavy part of assembly and got it up on its mobile base, where I was able to complete the install by myself.
Mike save your money and buy one of there smaller cabinet saws...
(09-12-2024, 01:45 PM)fall Wrote: Mike save your money and buy one of there smaller cabinet saws...

I found a couple on the marketplace on FB at a great price. My issue is how to get it home. Most are 4 to 5 hours sawy. I'm not good at towing a trailer and no way can I roll a cabinet saw up a ramp on my pickup and then back down. The local fireman farm themselves out as movers. We hired them when we moved to our new house within the community. I plan to stop by and see if they will help me install this. I now leaning toward getting the 1 3/4 hp cabinet saw with the upgraded 36" fence.
It sounds like you have things on your end kinda covered. Any way you can recruit/kidnap somebody to help you with a Uhaul trailer rented near where the saw is located to drive it back home? A trailer seems like it would be easier to load/unload unless the seller has a suggestion to get it in your pickup. Perhaps you could rent a ramp on your end along with some FD help but you still need to get it in your pickup.