Hand Tool moments -- and a Hack -- from 2024 guitar build
Some time earlier this year I only posted a couple of these pictures.
I was off work several months, and I killed some time making a small guitar.  It is really to my liking, even if not fully polished and professional.

I used rift-saw Red Oak for the back and sides...  not a best-selling choice, but it has a sound I very much like.

Using the No. 6 to thickness one of the sides prior to bending:

Bending the side with a thrift-store curling iron:

Smoothing the back joints with my ECE Emmerich horn plane:

Installing a hand-curled rosette into a round slot cut with my Lee Valley string inlay cutter:

Cutting a place for a "beauty splice" where the 2 curved sides come together:

Inserting a thin wedge to beautify that joint:

More to follow!
Chris
More stuff...

Using a shop-made miter box and my thinnest saw to tightly cut fret slots:

Hand carving a neck profile:

First playing moments:

Lately -- courtesy of Putin's hackers -- my exact doppelgänger has shown up on YouTube:

Chris
Very nice work -  the photos show it well.
Well done sir.  Was this your first one?
Semper Fi,

Barry
Nice job. I've never even considered oak as a tonewood. How would you characterize the tone? I own 4 acoustic guitars but never considered building one.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
I know nothing about guitars, but I do recognize quality hand work when I see it.  Thank you for posting.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Wow. A beatiful and usefull music instrument. That is the subdiscipline of woodworking I admire the most!

Take Care,
Pedder
Thank you all!

In response to the questions:

It is my 2nd build, and the first time essentially from scratch.   My 2022 build was with a body using walnut and mahogany-- OK, but I had made the back too thin and it sounds a little tubby.

This 2024 build, I wanted to make it from everyday stuff, and reading up I had seen that oak was usually avoided only for the open grain appearance, and not for the sonics.  Sonically I would place it close to rosewood.  It's really a delight, and I think I got the top and back resonances and thicknesses to work, quite fortunately.

The Russian hacker obviously went for a solid-body instead.  
Smile
Chris