Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Powermatic 64B
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade from a Craftsman contractor table saw to a Powermatic 64B with the 30" rip. I've looked at all major manufactures of saw in this price range and for a few dollars more, the Powermatic looks more impressive.

If anyone has any experience or knowledge on this saw, I would like to hear them.

Also, I have looked at the PM1000 with the 30" rip, but its $400 more.

I am a hobbist. I build bee hives and bird houses/feeders. I do not do this for a living.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

TIA
I bought my 64A with a 30" fence in 2006. Two weeks ago I went to the L. L. Johnson's Lumber Wood Expo in Charlotte Michigan and while there looked over the 64B for the first time. If I did not have my 64A, I would buy the B in a heartbeat. With the upgrades of the 1-3/4 H.P. side mount motor, riving knife and dust collection, this saw is hard to beat. I did a lot of research when I bought my saw and I have been very happy with the Powermatic.
I had a 64A until I restored my 66. The 64A is a very good saw and it handled everything I gave it. Dust collection was my biggest reason to change. If they have that figured out then I'd say no hesitation.

Doug
I really don't think the Powermatic 64B is any credible upgrade from your Craftsman contractor saw. What is your issue with your saw?

You could add a better fence to your Craftsman and be done with it. For the cost of the 64B, I bet you can get into a real cabinet saw from Grizzly which would offer better dust collection for starters.
The miter track is about 3/32 out to the blade. No problem, I can adjust my Incra miter gauge to compensate (had to use a die grinder to remove the lip for a real miter gauge to fit). Next, there is no way to create a zero clearance insert. It has a removable panel for cross cut/ripping and another for dados. The top is aluminum.

Looked at hybrids of decent quality (Jet Pro Shop) $1200. I'd spend the extra $400 for the PM1000 if it was worth it but I can't see what I'd be getting.
I saw Grizzly (G0715P) has a hybrid for $825. Looks interesting but I don't care for the open wings/rails on any brand, JET Pro Shop included.

I added HDPE panels to my craftsman fence, its as smoothe as butter.
tdukes said:

The top is aluminum.

You don't have a contractor table saw. Sounds more like a benchtop (w/ legs).

With this, yes, moving to a real contractor table saw with a cast iron top over an aluminum benchtop saw would be a rational upgrade.

My dad had a Craftsman contractor's saw. My first saw was a PM 64A. The PM as much sturdier than the Craftsman and, IMHO, a much better saw. But it was still a contractor' style saw. I used mine for 6 or 8 years and started having trouble with the saw staying in alignment. I got a great deal on a Unisaw and sold the PM. The differences between a cabinet saw and a contractor's saw are huge. Except for mobility, a cabinet saw outperforms a contractor's saw in every respect by several orders of magnitude. I agree with Cian. The PM 64 is a fairly expensive comtractor's saw, but it's still a contractor's saw. If you spend the $$ on the PM, you'll be stuck with a contractor's saw for a long time. For not a great deal more money, you can buy a real cabinet saw. It's worth the wait.
Hank Knight in SC said:

If you spend the $$ on the PM, you'll be stuck with a contractor's saw for a long time. For not a great deal more money, you can buy a real cabinet saw. It's worth the wait.

Worth repeating.

FWIW, I went from a Craftsman (aluminum) benchtop saw, to a Jet contractor saw with cast iron top and wings, to a full fledged cabinet saw. The Jet saw was very solid and precise, but dust collection was problematic. I should've just bought the cabinet saw first.
If you have 220v available, I'd seriously consider getting something like a Grizzly G1023RL or G0690 3hp industrial style cabinet saw. The PM64B is a nice contractor saw, but it doesn't offer what a true industrial cabinet saw offers, and happens to be in the same price range.