Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Ever Framed a Cutting Board?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I made three rectangular cutting boards using quartersawn white oak, 12" x 16". They are an inch thick and the grain is running vertically with 90 glued up pieces each.  It seems that an outside wrap-around frame might set these boards off nicely, but it would have to be joined tightly, and I doubt mitered ends would be strong enough. If I make and attach frames, I'm, also not sure whether to use the same species or switch to another hardwood for a pleasant contrast.

Do you have any suggestions or Pics of your work? TIA.
Could you make the “frame” with boards oriented the same as the others?
(12-14-2019, 08:32 PM)MsNomer Wrote: [ -> ]Could you make the “frame” with boards oriented the same as the others?

Not really, Carolyn. These are all small boards with the grain running vertically -- 90 in all, glued up. It was quite a task. The technique was presented about 10 years or so ago in Wood  magazine. The pattern of each row is staggered as you move along. I maintained the same species, white oak, but Wood  showed several species in the same board for color contrast. I made three of those back then when the article was published. Needless to say, it's a lot of work but a rather unique project.

I can post a pic of where the project stands at this point without any outside frame if anyone is interested.
Pic would help.

Seventeen.
Edwin, you wouldn’t happen to have that issue number of WOOD?

When I was turning I gathered several species of wood and now have leftovers that would fit a project like this. Personally I like the idea of the frame for a display board. Would love to see a pic of what you come up with.
(12-15-2019, 04:28 AM)stoppy Wrote: [ -> ]Edwin, you wouldn’t happen to have that issue number of WOOD?

When I was turning I gathered several species of wood and now have leftovers that would fit a project like this. Personally I like the idea of the frame for a display board. Would love to see a pic of what you come up with.
Stoppy, you can take a look here:

https://www.lumberjocks.com/projects/283114
or
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/woodw...ting-board

I made four very similar to this one. I used my 24" wide thickness sander. Once again I made three boards the same way with just one species -- white oak. Needless to say, it was a bear to sand smooth. White oak end grain is tough as nails.
(12-14-2019, 08:12 PM)Edwin Hackleman Wrote: [ -> ]I made three rectangular cutting boards using quartersawn white oak, 12" x 16". They are an inch thick and the grain is running vertically with 90 glued up pieces each.  It seems that an outside wrap-around frame might set these boards off nicely, but it would have to be joined tightly, and I doubt mitered ends would be strong enough. If I make and attach frames, I'm, also not sure whether to use the same species or switch to another hardwood for a pleasant contrast.

Do you have any suggestions or Pics of your work? TIA.
Check out this picture of one of my many end grain cutting boards. All pieces (interior & boarder) are end grain. I do not miter the frame. Look at the picture and you can see the butt joints. The interior pieces (the pattern) are maple, walnut and cherry. The interior boarder is 1/8" wide maple and the exterior boarder is 3/4" wide walnut.

Is this the information you are looking for?

[attachment=22285]
(12-15-2019, 04:28 AM)stoppy Wrote: [ -> ]Edwin, you wouldn’t happen to have that issue number of WOOD?

Issue 172 October 2006
(12-15-2019, 01:57 PM)BigD Wrote: [ -> ]Check out this picture of one of my many end grain cutting boards. All pieces (interior & boarder) are end grain. I do not miter the frame. Look at the picture and you can see the butt joints. The interior pieces (the pattern) are maple, walnut and cherry. The interior boarder is 1/8" wide maple and the exterior boarder is 3/4" wide walnut.

Is this the information you are looking for?
Yes, BigD, and thank you. My only fear is that the cutting boards I just made will wind up hanging on the wall and never be used on the kitchen counter to cut any food. I've already given away to friends a half dozen cutting boards that wound on the wall, never to be used. Thanks again. Yours shown here is beautiful and truly a work of art.
(12-15-2019, 04:00 PM)Edwin Hackleman Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, BigD, and thank you. My only fear is that the cutting boards I just made will wind up hanging on the wall and never be used on the kitchen counter to cut any food. I've already given away to friends a half dozen cutting boards that wound on the wall, never to be used. Thanks again. Yours shown here is beautiful and truly a work of art.

I wish mine would get used as well. I give them hoping they are put to use.
[Image: w9yA8xwhlaee2PRbVx7ssBeoiQM8HfOwblgeTHv6...75-h945-no]
Pages: 1 2