Woodnet Forums

Full Version: BLO and Deft Lacquer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking for an oil type of finish, with durability. Can boiled linseed oil be topcoated with Deft lacquer? How will the durability be? Am I better off with a mixture of BLO, with varnish and mineral spirits?

Thanks!

T
You can top BLO with lacquer, let the BLO cure for a day or two and put the Lacquer on. It (the lacquer) will be just as durable as it normally is. I don't consider NC lacquer as one of the more durable finishes, but you may have a different take on it. Will danish oil be more durable? Probably, if you apply enough coats. The varnish in the danish oil is (IMHO) a more durable film than lacquer, but that film with danish oil is very thin, and applying a lot of coats is time consuming and sometimes doesn't work out that well. The BLO makes the finish softer than just plain varnish...so there's that to consider. If durability is a key need, I thnk I would apply a loight coat of BLO for the color, and then just use varnish. Wipe it on if you want, or brush it, but you'll get a more durable film build that way.
(04-10-2020, 02:53 PM)fredhargis Wrote: [ -> ]You can top BLO with lacquer, let the BLO cure for a day or two and put the Lacquer on. It (the lacquer) will be just as durable as it normally is. I don't consider NC lacquer as one of the more durable finishes, but you may have a different take on it. Will danish oil be more durable? Probably, if you apply enough coats. The varnish in the danish oil is (IMHO) a more durable film than lacquer, but that film with danish oil is very thin, and applying a lot of coats is time consuming and sometimes doesn't work out that well. The BLO makes the finish softer than just plain varnish...so there's that to consider. If durability is a key need, I thnk I would apply a loight coat of BLO for the color, and then just use varnish. Wipe it on if you want, or brush it, but you'll get a more durable film build that way.

Thanks Fred. I'm finishing a wine rack, and the piece will not get much abuse, other than glasses placed on top!
I think you'll be happy with lacquer over the BLO. Like has been mentioned just give BLO some time to cure prior to top coating it.
(04-10-2020, 02:53 PM)fredhargis Wrote: [ -> ]You can top BLO with lacquer, let the BLO cure for a day or two and put the Lacquer on. It (the lacquer) will be just as durable as it normally is. I don't consider NC lacquer as one of the more durable finishes, but you may have a different take on it. Will danish oil be more durable? Probably, if you apply enough coats. The varnish in the danish oil is (IMHO) a more durable film than lacquer, but that film with danish oil is very thin, and applying a lot of coats is time consuming and sometimes doesn't work out that well. The BLO makes the finish softer than just plain varnish...so there's that to consider. If durability is a key need, I thnk I would apply a loight coat of BLO for the color, and then just use varnish. Wipe it on if you want, or brush it, but you'll get a more durable film build that way.

Fred,

If I use "Danish oil" instead, what are the typical number of coats? When I looked at the technical sheets provided by Watco, no number of coats is mentioned.

Thanks,

T.
I have no idea. When I use danish oil it's because I want an in-the-wood finish, so just a couple of coats to show off the grain is all I use. The problem with lots of coats is the BLO. If you don't allow it to cure somewhat (say, between every 2nd or 3rd coat) you might wind up with a gummy feeling finish...and it may take months to cure fully. I've also not used Watco, but according to Flexner it may be just a wiping varnish. If that is true, applying several coats will be less of a problem, you won't have the slower curing BLO gumming things up.