Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Need help painting house
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Finally started painting my house. It is hardie plank and hardie shake. When I originally painted the house 8 years ago with a brush, it took forever to paint the shake. Sounds crazy but I actually had to use an artist brush to get paint into all the cracks.

I would like to try to spray the shakes to hopefully save time. I will paint the lap and trim with a brush. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a spray rig since this is a one time use for me.

Does anyone know if any of the sprayers at Harbor Freight would do OK for this job. Or any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks
A  sprayer would be ideal for that. 

There are lots of reviews for sprayers on line.  I think you should do some research.
(06-02-2020, 11:41 AM)Randy C Wrote: [ -> ]Finally started painting my house. It is hardie plank and hardie shake. When I originally painted the house 8 years ago with a brush, it took forever to paint the shake. Sounds crazy but I actually had to use an artist brush to get paint into all the cracks.

I would like to try to spray the shakes to hopefully save time. I will paint the lap and trim with a brush. I don't want to spend a lot of money on a spray rig since this is a one time use for me.

Does anyone know if any of the sprayers at Harbor Freight would do OK for this job. Or any other suggestions you may have.

Thanks

I can't comment on the HF sprayers, but something like this is what I have. 
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Graco-TrueCo...902942-_-N

Everything else I have tried doesn't do a great job with house paint. This is probably more than you're looking to spend, but I highly recommend it and it will make you a better painter. By that I mean faster and your work will look better-more even coverage, and you will probably use less paint. I prefer this to the traditional 'rig' (which I also have) because clean-up is way easier. It's heavy and it's not for big jobs because it doesn't hlod much paint, but it is the bees knees for small jobs.
Rent one from Sherwin Williams
If you can't find a rental look at CL or such and buy a used one.  If you don't want to keep it, put it back where you got it!

I stained my Western Cedar house in about 5 hours using a Graco XP5.  Still have it Laugh
(06-02-2020, 05:33 PM)fixtureman Wrote: [ -> ]Rent one from Sherwin Williams

^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1
I would brush or roll the cedar shake siding. Only spraying it won’t push paint into cracks and pores. Spraying and then back brushing or rolling would do very well but then you have to ask yourself if the time it takes to prep for spraying and cleaning out a sprayer is worth it. In many cases, the time is nearly a wash. I spent 15 years working as a painter.

If you do spray, consider renting an airless for probably $75-100 a day. I haven’t seen prices lately. HD rents professional spray rigs. Be careful not to use a tip size larger than you should.