Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Threaded end on a brace-type auger bit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was going through an old pile of auger bits looking for one to fit my power drill and ran across a unique specimen. This 18" double-helix auger is equipped with a brace end but also has a threaded portion. I've looked closely but cannot find a maker's mark or brand. It seems to me the thread is manufactured in rather than home built because the brace taper looks complete. I only found threaded drill bits referenced for impact usage and I don't think this is that. 

Anybody got some more information on what this is intended for? Worth anything?
[attachment=36938]
[attachment=36937]
[attachment=36936]
Is it possible that someone threaded it for a specific purpose?

Obviously not as old, but treaded drill bits used in aviation a lot. 10-24 was the thread size for most of them.
Or, they can then be threaded into a "T" handle..
(08-09-2021, 01:16 PM)bandit571 Wrote: [ -> ]Or, they can then be threaded into a "T" handle..

That is it.  They are called a barn auger bit.    Normally the square taper was forced into a hole in the handle and pulled tight with the nut.  Roly
(08-09-2021, 01:16 PM)bandit571 Wrote: [ -> ]Or, they can then be threaded into a "T" handle..

YES! This being a barn auger bit on a handle makes complete sense.  I don't need to use that but will display it.
(08-09-2021, 01:22 PM)Roly Wrote: [ -> ]That is it.  They are called a barn auger bit.    Normally the square taper was forced into a hole in the handle and pulled tight with the nut.  Roly

^ This - a bit that large needs more leverage than your standard brace can deliver comfortably so T handle can make the going a little easier.