Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Gluing wood to brass
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am making an O-gauge brass railcar from a 1970s kit I got for cheap on ebay, and it is way beyond my meager modelling skills.  The kit consists of wide strips of etched brass that need to be cut out (in places) and soldered together.

In order to make it easier to cut out the windows and other openings on my scroll saw, and to facilitate assembly, I am trying to back the brass strips with corresponding 1/8" thick strips of basswood.

What is the best way to adhere the two together?

I tried 3M SprayMount, but the vibration from the scroll saw breaks the bond.

Would contact cement work?

I am leery about using epoxy, because I'd like to get a thin film that covers the whole surface, and my epoxy (JB Weld) is too thick to spread evenly.
I'm not sure if it's the best way to do it, but here's some double coated tape that will hold them together. It even sticks to UHMW!
CA glue will work great, just keep your fingers out of it have some acetone at the ready. Laugh
(12-01-2021, 09:28 AM)Woodshop Wrote: [ -> ]CA glue will work great, just keep your fingers out of it have some acetone at the ready. Laugh

Thanks -- I'll give that a shot
(12-01-2021, 09:25 AM)fredhargis Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not sure if it's the best way to do it, but here's some double coated tape that will hold them together. It even sticks to UHMW!

Or hot glue?
(12-01-2021, 09:04 AM)Ridgeway Wrote: [ -> ]I am making an O-gauge brass railcar from a 1970s kit I got for cheap on ebay, and it is way beyond my meager modelling skills.  The kit consists of wide strips of etched brass that need to be cut out (in places) and soldered together.

In order to make it easier to cut out the windows and other openings on my scroll saw, and to facilitate assembly, I am trying to back the brass strips with corresponding 1/8" thick strips of basswood.

What is the best way to adhere the two together?

I tried 3M SprayMount, but the vibration from the scroll saw breaks the bond.

Would contact cement work?

I am leery about using epoxy, because I'd like to get a thin film that covers the whole surface, and my epoxy (JB Weld) is too thick to spread evenly.
My choice for fastening template to material to be cut is double-sided tape. Carpet tape is probably a bit stronger than really needed for your application but it for sure will hold the basswood to the brass for you.