Woodnet Forums

Full Version: Cutting groves
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
To make groves would you rather use the tablesaw or router?
Table saw because my router table needs to be set up (bit, dust collection etc). I use the router table only if the table saw isn't an option.

Simon
The question implies that the grooves are long. Generally I would use the table saw with a dado blade particularly if there are several to do. Also, if the groove is not a standard width, multiple passes might be necessary with a router. A dado blade would be easier to set up for a non-standard width; again particularly if several grooves are required.
(01-09-2024, 11:32 AM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: [ -> ]To make groves would you rather use the tablesaw or router?

Depends on the material; if it’s hard to handle, bring the tool to the stock.
If it’s easy to handle, bring the stock to the tool.
You can’t “bring” a TS to the stock, so this suggests the router.
Depends on width, length, bow in the wood.
I do prefer the table saw.
I would also guess it depends on if you have a stacked dado blades or not too.  And then the width of the TS blade.
I use the table saw whenever I can, but there are times that the router makes life easier and more sense.
Based purely on dust collection I would choose the table saw.
(01-11-2024, 05:49 AM)fredhargis Wrote: [ -> ]I use the table saw whenever I can, but there are times that the router makes life easier and more sense.

I have been watching youtube vids and for ease it seems router with a board as a side guide.  All is needed is the correct bit and depth.
They have been dados, groves and other cuts as well.  If I have alot to do then just move the side board it seems and a dust collector can be used also
I use both depending on the material and task. A router can take longer to set up.

Example, with sheet material a router is often better if the piece is big enough to have to wrestle through the saw and keep against the fence. Stock guides are nice to have here.

The other factor is with a shallow groove there is a risk of the blade coming out of the groove, catching the material and at the very least, ruining the surface. At the worst, causing an injury.

Also, if there is any bow or warp in the material, a router is better b/c it follows the contour.

If you're having to press the ply down through the cut, IMO that's grounds for using a router.
Pages: 1 2