Woodnet Forums
A Project for May? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: A Project for May? (/showthread.php?tid=7375747)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

RE: A Project for May? - bandit571 - 05-03-2024

So...Zero Clearance Overlay, and tilt the saw blade to 15 degrees on the saw's scale...
[attachment=50916]
To cut a bevel all the way around each of the 16 blanks...mindful to have the best looking face away from the face...

Once those were done..reset to saw a rebate kerf..
[attachment=50917]
As I need a rebate all around on the "inside" face of each panel...the remove the overlay, reset the saw and finish the rebate
[attachment=50918]
Still need to fine tune things, but..Dry Fit?
[attachment=50919]
That "lip" will get planed off..and be a smooth transition, between the beveled edge and the "field"..

I think not only I, but the Tablesaw could use a break for the rest of today...
Between this mess, the scrap cut-offs and other stuff..might have just filled up a 35 Gal. Trash can...which need to head upstairs to the Fire Pit...
[attachment=50920]
Tomorrow's "plan"?   Will involve the 4 Stiles...need one end squared up...then lay out where all the rails and Panels will go, and then the bottom feet..anything beyond that will be sawn off..

Stay tuned..

RE: A Project for May? - bandit571 - 05-05-2024

A dry fit..
[attachment=50927]
More to see how long of a stile I will need...

Fun part?   Have to keep an eye on the grain details as I do a glue up...once the stiles are ready..

Have errands to run, today....

RE: A Project for May? - bandit571 - 05-05-2024

This came home yesterday...was almost too rainy for Yard Sales...but...not for Garage sales....and..for $3..
[attachment=50928]
Boston Ever Handy pencil Sharpener...and it fits the pencils I use in the shop...couple shots of WD40 into the gears...runs as smooth and quiet as when it was new...

Busy shoptime?
[attachment=50929]
That almost clear space on the floor by the bench...is where my feet spent a lot of time..pushing one of these..
[attachment=50930]
Stanley No. 45, type 20 Noodle Maker...

Because, once I laid out a lot of lines..
[attachment=50931]
And found out where to cut the stiles to the correct length..
[attachment=50932]
I also left a 3" long bottom leg..

1st stile..
[attachment=50933]
other end is in the leg vise...had to allow for the fence on the 45...about 1/2" above the vise's jaws...and
[attachment=50934]
enough space for the fence to miss the clamp at the far end...wasn't going all that deep...
[attachment=50935]
Just enough for the raised panel's rebate to fully seat into the groove..
[attachment=50936]
Reset the depth stop twice, before it was deep enough.

No shop fan..meant I was pretty much soaked clear through...and I only got 2 of the 4 stiles grooved...out of shape, I guess...

Rails have long tenons...partly to fill the grooves, and then into a mortise..
[attachment=50937]
Will have 9 mortises to chop..per stile...going to be a busy week...
Stay tuned..

RE: A Project for May? - bandit571 - 05-06-2024

Not much got done, yesterday..scrap can was getting a bit full..
[attachment=50945]
Top it off with shavings from the groove work, hauled the can upstairs...
[attachment=50946]
"Fire in the Hole!"

returned the empty 35 gal. can to the shop...and swept up the rest of the mess...
[attachment=50947]
And, while down in the shop...
[attachment=50948]
Set up Stile #3 to get it's own groove done....

Need to get all 4 stiles done, as far as their grooves...before I can start with a mortise chisel....might even cut the foot profile?

Between this and a road trip to pick up 3 items...that were Nickel Plated by a friend of mine...not much else got done...as one of these..
[attachment=50949]
Packed with scraps and shavings, ain't exactly the lightest thing to carry up a set of basement steps....

Have not been informed of today's schedule, yet....and it is a Monday...will have to wait and see about any shop time...

2 hours in the shop, on a Monday?   Stile #3 had issues....Stanley #45 had issues...

Stanley 45 has a #14 cutter on board...was having trouble...either I could get the bevel centered up, Or..I could get the depth adjuster pin to stay IN the notch on the cutter...but..not at the same time...took the cutter out and sighted along it..and saw this "feature"...)

replaced that cutter with another #14 that WAS straight..worked much better,  and I could center the cutter AND adjust it's depth too..
[attachment=50958]
Was planing along quite nicely, except..
[attachment=50959]
For this split going...wasn't just a small one, either..
[attachment=50960]
Yep, about THAT long..glue and clamps, set #3 over with the first 2..
[attachment=50961]
And let it sit a day...then went to work on #4 Stile..
[attachment=50962]
Without any further Issues...swept up the "Noodles"
[attachment=50963]

Had a profile to bandsaw..
[attachment=50964]
To make a foot for the case to stand on..

[attachment=50965]

Cleaned off the top of the bench, and dug out the Mortise Jig
[attachment=50966]
Sits right on top of the bench's leg...no bounce allowed..The Vise grips is to hold the part in the jig..
[attachment=50967]

So, that was the first half of today's shoptime..
Stay tuned for part 2..

Mortise work...needs a Mortise Chisel...so
[attachment=50968]
And a mallet to drive it...first mortise is for the bottom rail...
[attachment=50969]
2" wide bottom rail..short part fills the groove..longer part goes in a mortise..took a bit..
[attachment=50970]
Dry fit..then to the next mortise...which are just plain ones..
[attachment=50971]
7 of those...then the last mortise..again with the haunched tenon...top rail is also 2" wide...
[attachment=50972]
Means I can't have that area with the red "X" to bust out..more dry fits..
[attachment=50973]
Top Rail, Raised Panel, and 1st Narrow rail..

Need to stop for the day...was soaked from sweat..cramps were trying to start..and I still had to get back upstairs....SLOWLY..

Rebates on those raised panels ...need a way to hold the panel in place and run the Sargent 79 along the edges, as some are too FAT..may just clamp them to the vise's out jaw, and run the plane a few times...and check for fit...

Have The Boss's Furniture showing up, tomorrow...so THAT might affect Shoptime...we'll see.

Stay tuned..

RE: A Project for May? - wing nut - 05-07-2024

(05-05-2024, 10:21 AM)bandit571 Wrote: This came home yesterday...was almost too rainy for Yard Sales...but...not for Garage sales....and..for $3..

Boston Ever Handy pencil Sharpener...and it fits the pencils I use in the shop...couple shots of WD40 into the gears...runs as smooth and quiet as when it was new...

Busy shoptime?

That almost clear space on the floor by the bench...is where my feet spent a lot of time..pushing one of these..

Stanley No. 45, type 20 Noodle Maker...

Because, once I laid out a lot of lines..

And found out where to cut the stiles to the correct length..

I also left a 3" long bottom leg..

1st stile..

other end is in the leg vise...had to allow for the fence on the 45...about 1/2" above the vise's jaws...and

enough space for the fence to miss the clamp at the far end...wasn't going all that deep...

Just enough for the raised panel's rebate to fully seat into the groove..

Reset the depth stop twice, before it was deep enough.

No shop fan..meant I was pretty much soaked clear through...and I only got 2 of the 4 stiles grooved...out of shape, I guess...

Rails have long tenons...partly to fill the grooves, and then into a mortise..

Will have 9 mortises to chop..per stile...going to be a busy week...
Stay tuned..
Bandit, are your raised panels done on a table saw?

RE: A Project for May? - bandit571 - 05-07-2024

Yep...tilt the blade to 15 degrees..run all 4 edges through..

Spent today refining the rebates on the backs
[attachment=50975]
As some were a bit too fat...rebate adjuster?
[attachment=50976]
Craftsman No. 3720 ( Sargent No. 79, Type 2)until the rail bottoms out..no binding..
[attachment=50977]
I also smoothed those faces that needed it....

Dry fit, inside view..
[attachment=50978]
8 panels, 9 rails..outside view?
[attachment=50979]
So...IF I get any shop time tomorrow...
[attachment=50980]
The task will be to mortise the matching Stile..and get this ready for a glue up..while that sits in the clamps a few days, will repeat all the above for the other side of the case..

That glue up promises to be....entertaining?  
Stay tuned..

RE: A Project for May? - bandit571 - 05-07-2024

The reason I used the Tablesaw?   had 14 raised panels to do....and no way to hold them securely while I used a plane to make 56 beveled edges..and all the rebates..
Was better to use the Tablesaw this time around...and less frustrating ...

RE: A Project for May? - bandit571 - 05-08-2024

Against my better judgement...decided to chop Stile #3's mortises...all nine of them...also figured out why the ends were looking longer than the middle rails...one mortise on #4 stile wasn't quite deep enough...and the shoulders on the other wide rail were not cut to the line...fixed both of those,,

Was just hauling some supplies to the shop..nothing more...yeah..RIGHT...Plus, I needed to haul clothes from the Clothes Dryer upstairs..

Legs are now hurting...having an Ice Cold Tonic & Gin..I think THAT will do for today..
[attachment=50994]
Helped deliver and re-assemble these this morning...New Furniture for the Boss to sit in, when she came come Home from the assisted living center...in a week to 10 days...we hope.

Been a busy day..