Woodnet Forums
Pencil Box (Pic Heavy) - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Pencil Box (Pic Heavy) (/showthread.php?tid=7087427)

Pages: 1 2

Pencil Box (Pic Heavy) - bobs64ford352 - 09-01-2015

My daughter started 1st grade today and I decided to make her a pencil box. I missed the first day, but she will have it for tomorrow. This was one of my quickest projects, too, I started on it last night. I used my miter cutter to do all the miters and for the first time used the painters tape method for assembling and gluing the joints. It was the first time I had a really good glue up with miter joints, so now maybe I can stop avoiding them since I learned a new trick. The box itself is purpleheart, the bottom is a plain jane piece of maple and the cover is spalted maple. I decided to kick it up a notch with an inlaid heart, from some scrap purpleheart. I decided not to plane the inlay flat and instead sanded it so it was flush with the cover but proud in the middle, kind of a 3d effect. I also used a couple magnets, that I offset, to pull the cover closed and keep it tight. The only thing I'm unhappy with is how I wrote her name on it.

Thanks for looking,
Bob

Re: Pencil Box (Pic Heavy) - wing nut - 09-01-2015

that's sweet, I like it, I did something similar for my kids

Re: Pencil Box (Pic Heavy) - Scoony - 09-01-2015

Love it

I have lots of nice figured shorts, need to start making a few of these.

Re: Pencil Box (Pic Heavy) - clockman - 09-01-2015

Cool

Re: Pencil Box (Pic Heavy) - jppierson - 09-01-2015

I wouldn't be displeased with the way you wrote your daughter's name. One of my most dear possession is a simple shopping and to-do list that my father wrote. I found it in one of his jacket pockets after he passed away. Her name is written in your hand and may prove to be a priceless connection between the two of you.

Nice box!

Jim

Re: Pencil Box (Pic Heavy) - Yotie - 09-01-2015

Very nice.....and I concur that a hand written name is special. I would even go so far as to sealing it so it stays forever. Her grand child will have that box some day!

Re: Pencil Box (Pic Heavy) - Daniel S - 09-01-2015

That looks really great. That heart sure makes it stand out from the crowd. Great work.

Re: Pencil Box (Pic Heavy) - Martin S. - 09-01-2015

I like the heart feature as well.

I am sure she likes it, too.

Well done!

Re: Pencil Box (Pic Heavy) - RPE1 - 09-01-2015

Very nice. Excellent job.

Re: Pencil Box (Pic Heavy) - colibas - 09-01-2015

I like the heart, too. Great job, from a dad who's daughter just started kindergarten.

...and she has the pencil box she asked for: Elsa from Frozen.