Pencil Box (Pic Heavy)
My daughter started 1st grade today and I decided to make her a pencil box. I missed the first day, but she will have it for tomorrow. This was one of my quickest projects, too, I started on it last night. I used my miter cutter to do all the miters and for the first time used the painters tape method for assembling and gluing the joints. It was the first time I had a really good glue up with miter joints, so now maybe I can stop avoiding them since I learned a new trick. The box itself is purpleheart, the bottom is a plain jane piece of maple and the cover is spalted maple. I decided to kick it up a notch with an inlaid heart, from some scrap purpleheart. I decided not to plane the inlay flat and instead sanded it so it was flush with the cover but proud in the middle, kind of a 3d effect. I also used a couple magnets, that I offset, to pull the cover closed and keep it tight. The only thing I'm unhappy with is how I wrote her name on it.

Thanks for looking,
Bob
that's sweet, I like it, I did something similar for my kids
Love it

I have lots of nice figured shorts, need to start making a few of these.
Cool
I wouldn't be displeased with the way you wrote your daughter's name. One of my most dear possession is a simple shopping and to-do list that my father wrote. I found it in one of his jacket pockets after he passed away. Her name is written in your hand and may prove to be a priceless connection between the two of you.

Nice box!

Jim
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Very nice.....and I concur that a hand written name is special. I would even go so far as to sealing it so it stays forever. Her grand child will have that box some day!
That looks really great. That heart sure makes it stand out from the crowd. Great work.
I like the heart feature as well.

I am sure she likes it, too.

Well done!
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
Very nice. Excellent job.
I like the heart, too. Great job, from a dad who's daughter just started kindergarten.

...and she has the pencil box she asked for: Elsa from Frozen.