Woodnet Forums
Anyone use 5 gal shop vac for dust collector? - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Anyone use 5 gal shop vac for dust collector? (/showthread.php?tid=7108530)

Anyone use 5 gal shop vac for dust collector? - Pirate - 09-30-2015

I used a shop Vac 5 gal vac, for dust collection on a PM lunchbox planer, when I had it, and it worked fine. No separator, and it was right next to the planer.
Since then, I now have a real planer, and want to make a simple separator.
Just wondering if anyone has used a 5 gal shop vac for this and results.
Also wondering how a 15 - 20 foot hose from separator to machine would hurt it.
Thanks. Looking forward to cutting down on the chips/dust.

Re: Anyone use 5 gal shop vac for dust collector? - Robert Adams - 09-30-2015

I have used old shop vacs in a similar application but 5 gallon Is a little small for a planer but other than that it's ok.

I have one of the imported seperator cyclones on one for the router table cause the dc from a shop vac works way better than the dust collector does. It's on a small vac base and works fine. The shape of the container doesn't matter when the seperator is on top.

The best seperator I have used is the one direct from china. Usually around $20 shipped. Less pressure drop and works great. No dust past it and it has a more inclined inlet shape to create a downward spiral of air.

Re: Anyone use 5 gal shop vac for dust collector? - AgGEM - 09-30-2015

Here is a poor picture of my DD powered by a 5 gallon Sears shop vac. It rolls over to my 15" planer, and depending on the wood does a good job.
My hose is 7 feet long, I have never tried to extend it.

Pine makes shavings and they tend to clog at the 4 to 2.5 reducer, which means I have to clean it out between passes. Still far better than the mess on the floor, without the DD/vac.

Hardwoods tend to make chips, which this set up works very well with.
I will make a picture with the planer this morning and post it for you.

Ag

Opps, looks like new vac is only 4 gallons....

Re: Anyone use 5 gal shop vac for dust collector? - DogwoodTales - 09-30-2015

I wonder if that 4-2 reducer had a more gradual (cone shaped) transition if it would clog as bad or as often.

DogwoodTales said:

I wonder if that 4-2 reducer had a more gradual (cone shaped) transition if it would clog as bad or as often.

Unknown.
But your comment prompted me to wonder about feed speed.
I have never changed that, and I think I have it set for fast.
Perhaps I should experiment with that.
Ag

Re: Anyone use 5 gal shop vac for dust collector? - Ruler2112 - 10-01-2015

I have an extremely old large shop vac inside of a 'muffler box' with a hose ran to a thein baffle mounted on top, built around a 7 gallon bucket. There's a 12-15 foot flexible hose coming out of the baffle and I move it to whatever machine I need. Used it when running my DeWalt planer with no problems. (Other than the separator filling up rapidly when I'm removing a significant amount of material of course...)

Re: Anyone use 5 gal shop vac for dust collector? - Pirate - 10-02-2015

Robert Adams said:

I have used old shop vacs in a similar application but 5 gallon Is a little small for a planer but other than that it's ok.
I have one of the imported seperator cyclones on one for the router table cause the dc from a shop vac works way better than the dust collector does. It's on a small vac base and works fine. The shape of the container doesn't matter when the seperator is on top.

The best seperator I have used is the one direct from china. Usually around $20 shipped. Less pressure drop and works great. No dust past it and it has a more inclined inlet shape to create a downward spiral of air.

Do you have a link to the $20 separator you liked?