Anyone use 5 gal shop vac for dust collector?
I used a shop Vac 5 gal vac, for dust collection on a PM lunchbox planer, when I had it, and it worked fine. No separator, and it was right next to the planer.
Since then, I now have a real planer, and want to make a simple separator.
Just wondering if anyone has used a 5 gal shop vac for this and results.
Also wondering how a 15 - 20 foot hose from separator to machine would hurt it.
Thanks. Looking forward to cutting down on the chips/dust.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I have used old shop vacs in a similar application but 5 gallon Is a little small for a planer but other than that it's ok.

I have one of the imported seperator cyclones on one for the router table cause the dc from a shop vac works way better than the dust collector does. It's on a small vac base and works fine. The shape of the container doesn't matter when the seperator is on top.

The best seperator I have used is the one direct from china. Usually around $20 shipped. Less pressure drop and works great. No dust past it and it has a more inclined inlet shape to create a downward spiral of air.
Here is a poor picture of my DD powered by a 5 gallon Sears shop vac. It rolls over to my 15" planer, and depending on the wood does a good job.
My hose is 7 feet long, I have never tried to extend it.

Pine makes shavings and they tend to clog at the 4 to 2.5 reducer, which means I have to clean it out between passes. Still far better than the mess on the floor, without the DD/vac.

Hardwoods tend to make chips, which this set up works very well with.
I will make a picture with the planer this morning and post it for you.

Ag
Opps, looks like new vac is only 4 gallons....

I wonder if that 4-2 reducer had a more gradual (cone shaped) transition if it would clog as bad or as often.
Ray
DogwoodTales said:

I wonder if that 4-2 reducer had a more gradual (cone shaped) transition if it would clog as bad or as often.

Unknown.
But your comment prompted me to wonder about feed speed.
I have never changed that, and I think I have it set for fast.
Perhaps I should experiment with that.
Ag
I have an extremely old large shop vac inside of a 'muffler box' with a hose ran to a thein baffle mounted on top, built around a 7 gallon bucket. There's a 12-15 foot flexible hose coming out of the baffle and I move it to whatever machine I need. Used it when running my DeWalt planer with no problems. (Other than the separator filling up rapidly when I'm removing a significant amount of material of course...)
"I'm glad being trapped in the woods hunted by an insane militia made you ask the big life questions."

Check out my Project Blog
Robert Adams said:

I have used old shop vacs in a similar application but 5 gallon Is a little small for a planer but other than that it's ok.
I have one of the imported seperator cyclones on one for the router table cause the dc from a shop vac works way better than the dust collector does. It's on a small vac base and works fine. The shape of the container doesn't matter when the seperator is on top.

The best seperator I have used is the one direct from china. Usually around $20 shipped. Less pressure drop and works great. No dust past it and it has a more inclined inlet shape to create a downward spiral of air.

Do you have a link to the $20 separator you liked?
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer