Woodnet Forums
Silly coping saw question - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Silly coping saw question (/showthread.php?tid=7129206)

Silly coping saw question - mbw - 10-27-2015

I just got fairly expensive coping saw $20 fro Amazon. The handle is slightly skewed to the left. I think it's bent, but is it possible it's designed that way. I think it would be impossible for a lefty to use.

Re: Silly coping saw question - DaveParkis - 10-27-2015

FWIW, I don't think it should be that way. I would send it back.

Re: Silly coping saw question - mbw - 10-27-2015

I agree

Re: Silly coping saw question - Admiral - 10-27-2015

Send it back and get this one. Excellent saw, well made.

TFWW

Re: Silly coping saw question - oarlock - 10-27-2015

+1 on the Olson coping saw. The only modification, purely optional, that one might make is to install a lock-washer on the handle-end shaft to make sure that skew of the blade stays where you want it.

Re: Silly coping saw question - mbw - 10-27-2015

Thanks guys

Re: Silly coping saw question - JustinTyson - 10-29-2015

Sounds like a dud. A coping saw is such a simple tool, it's hard to imagine why it's so hard for manufacturers to get it right. I suppose it's because it's one of those tools that has a much wider market than your typical woodworking hand tool - they just assume that the average user won't notice how bad it is. In any case, I've learned my lesson on buying hand tools from Amazon. No more

Re: Silly coping saw question - Axehandle - 10-30-2015

JustinTyson said:

Sounds like a dud. A coping saw is such a simple tool, it's hard to imagine why it's so hard for manufacturers to get it right. I suppose it's because it's one of those tools that has a much wider market than your typical woodworking hand tool - they just assume that the average user won't notice how bad it is. In any case, I've learned my lesson on buying hand tools from Amazon. No more

I agree. I feel someone could make a scaled back Knew Con for half that price. Maybe not though. I have the TFWW as well with the olsen blades.

Re: Silly coping saw question - mbw - 10-30-2015

Got the Olson today looks and works great.
Thanks all
Mark

Re: Silly coping saw question - Tony Z - 10-31-2015

Have had the Olson and a very old MF (inherited from my dad who passed in 2004). Both are great, with the Olson blade. Because the Olson is so cheap, and I waste material prior to chopping in my dovetails, with the blade canted, a few years back, I ordered a second Olson saw. The MF is always & tensioned for straight cuts. The two Olson's are always set and tensioned to throw off to the right or left.

Real time saver, if you do lots of wasting, and all for way less than a third of the cost of the fancy saw.