Woodnet Forums
Yankee problem - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://www.forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Yankee problem (/showthread.php?tid=7140102)

Yankee problem - Carl Grover - 11-10-2015

My Yankee spiral screwdriver slips quite a bit when I'm trying to drive a screw. I have to rotate it clockwise quite a bit then hope it doesn't slip as I'm pushing. Is there a way to fix this or do I have to just scrap it out? I don't have the model nbr handy but it's fairly large, is a North Bros. brand, and doesn't have that spring mechanism in it that throws the shaft out at you.

Carl

Re: Yankee problem - EatenByLimestone - 11-11-2015

Leave it all the way pushed in, then rotate it.

Re: Yankee problem - Carl Grover - 11-11-2015

EatenByLimestone said:

Leave it all the way pushed in, then rotate it.

Now why didn't I think of that?

I guess I'm going to have to rip this thing apart, find out why it slips so bad, then chunk it in the trash when I realize it can't be repaired or put back together.

Carl

Re: Yankee problem - Admiral - 11-11-2015

In well used ones, they develop wear in the collet, if that is where the slipping comes from, and if so it is likely toast. When I buy these I try and check for that and 90% of the time I can identify issues and pass. I still get stuck with clunkers from time to time. If the slipping comes from the base by the handle, I've got no clue. The model number might help.

Re: Yankee problem - Carl Grover - 11-11-2015

If I was smart I would probably chunk this one out and cut my losses then pick up another at the flea.

Carl

Re: Yankee problem - Bill_Houghton - 11-11-2015

I've also had the wooden handle slip on the metal housing. FRustrating.