Woodnet Forums
Rolling pin finish - Printable Version

+- Woodnet Forums (https://forums.woodnet.net)
+-- Thread: Rolling pin finish (/showthread.php?tid=7289970)

Rolling pin finish - John Mihich - 05-26-2016

What oil can I put on a rolling pin? I don't have mineral oil. I do have olive, vegetable oil and normal shop finish clear finishes. I know poly, lacquer, shellac, etc are not good. Of I could just leave it alone.

Re: Rolling pin finish - Kansas City Fireslayer - 05-26-2016

I've never finished a rolling pin but if you're rolling out the typical doughs with flour, I wouldn't think you'd need anything except a really high grit finish with sandpaper. I wouldn't be afraid to go up to 600+.

If you need an oil finish, I'd splurge the $1 at Wally World for a bottle of mineral oil. A very thin coat of thinned down shellac would probably be just fine too. I wouldn't want any build on it though.

Re: Rolling pin finish - John Mihich - 05-26-2016

This is a ravioli pin. (I'll post later). I made it out of maple and walnut and just wanted to highlight the difference. I don't really need to put a finish on it.

Re: Rolling pin finish - Gary G™ - 05-26-2016

Mahoney's or Butcher Block.
Don't use Olive oil--it can turn rancid.

Re: Rolling pin finish - barryvabeach - 05-27-2016

I have made many rolling pins. Unfinished works well, but shellac is better, IMO. Shellac is food safe - and makes it easy to wipe down with water when you are done using it. Looking forward to see how you made your ravioli pin.

Re: Rolling pin finish - MichaelMouse - 05-27-2016

Naked is best, if you can stand to leave it that way. The finish will be shortening eventually, if you use it. Rancid is half-oxidized. Don't store where access to air is limited, and you should be just fine.

If you can't stand it bare, shellac or lacquer.

Re: Rolling pin finish - Herb G - 05-27-2016

I would never use lacquer on anything related to food products. Best to leave it natural.
I have my Grandma's rolling pin & it doesn't have any finish on it at all.

Re: Rolling pin finish - Bill Wilson - 05-27-2016

I think shellac would be fine. A rolling pin isn't going to be subjected to the same kind of abuse that a cutting board gets, so even though film finishes are generally not recommended for kitchen ware, shellac should be fine in your application. It's also easily renewed and repaired, so that's a plus.

Re: Rolling pin finish - JR1 - 05-27-2016

You can prevent olive oil from going rancid by adding 5 drops of tea tree oil per L. However olive oil doesn't dry like BLO it just becomes sticky. You can use MO&paraffin, shellac or just leave it.

Re: Rolling pin finish - John Mihich - 05-27-2016

Seeing that I am delivering it this afternoon I am going to leave it natural. This was not my plan. My daughter requested it for a friend. I didn't like the actual finish product so I am going to make another one.