Rolling pin finish
What oil can I put on a rolling pin? I don't have mineral oil. I do have olive, vegetable oil and normal shop finish clear finishes. I know poly, lacquer, shellac, etc are not good. Of I could just leave it alone.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
I've never finished a rolling pin but if you're rolling out the typical doughs with flour, I wouldn't think you'd need anything except a really high grit finish with sandpaper. I wouldn't be afraid to go up to 600+.

If you need an oil finish, I'd splurge the $1 at Wally World for a bottle of mineral oil. A very thin coat of thinned down shellac would probably be just fine too. I wouldn't want any build on it though.

This is a ravioli pin. (I'll post later). I made it out of maple and walnut and just wanted to highlight the difference. I don't really need to put a finish on it.
John

We need to clean house.
Mahoney's or Butcher Block.
Don't use Olive oil--it can turn rancid.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
I have made many rolling pins. Unfinished works well, but shellac is better, IMO. Shellac is food safe - and makes it easy to wipe down with water when you are done using it. Looking forward to see how you made your ravioli pin.
Naked is best, if you can stand to leave it that way. The finish will be shortening eventually, if you use it. Rancid is half-oxidized. Don't store where access to air is limited, and you should be just fine.

If you can't stand it bare, shellac or lacquer.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I would never use lacquer on anything related to food products. Best to leave it natural.
I have my Grandma's rolling pin & it doesn't have any finish on it at all.
I think shellac would be fine. A rolling pin isn't going to be subjected to the same kind of abuse that a cutting board gets, so even though film finishes are generally not recommended for kitchen ware, shellac should be fine in your application. It's also easily renewed and repaired, so that's a plus.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

You can prevent olive oil from going rancid by adding 5 drops of tea tree oil per L. However olive oil doesn't dry like BLO it just becomes sticky. You can use MO&paraffin, shellac or just leave it.
homo homini lupus
"The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Quodcumque potest manus tua facere instaner opere Ecclesiastes
Seeing that I am delivering it this afternoon I am going to leave it natural. This was not my plan. My daughter requested it for a friend. I didn't like the actual finish product so I am going to make another one.
John

We need to clean house.